Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive

• Please log in to reply

Moe H

Moe H

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
My Dell laptop has stopped reading any type of CD, audio, data or picture; it does play DVDs. I have uninstalled the driver and restarted and downloaded and installed K-Lite Codec Pack, still doesn't have any CD function. How can I get this drive to read/play CDs again? I have also installed CDgone with no results.

Edited by Moe H, 21 August 2009 - 03:01 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Does the CD drive show up in My Computer? I'm guessing it does since you can play DVDs. CDgone is used only when the drive doesn't show up on your computer. It won't fix the problem as you descibe.

The fact that you can play DVDs and not CDs points to a bad or dirty drive. You might try products that clean the laser, or replace the drive with a new one.

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes, it appears in My Computer, but does not show the disk in the drive unless it is a DVD.

When I loaded the K-Lite Codec Pack i t indicated that there was a file damaged, but didn't note what and just followed the recommendation.

I have a cleaner disk I'll locate and try. If the laser is dirty why would it play DVDs? I am open to a new drive, any recomendations as to where to get it?

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Laser cleaner didn't help. :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
K-lite codec is used only for audio. You said you can't access data or pictures either, so K-lite shouldn't affect this.

It's not uncommon that drives can read one format and not the other. In fact its quite a common failure and it has to do with tracking of the laser for DVDs versus CDs, and vica-versa. Cleaning the laser can sometimes help.

You didn't state your computer specs, so I don't know what to recommend for purchasing. Read my signature, it's something most people miss.

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry, it is a Dell 5150, Mobile Intel P4A, 3.06 GHz, XP SP3

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No problem! Most people miss my signature. Perhaps I need to use larger fonts! :)

In any case, THIS is a link to your laptop maintenance manual. Look on THIS page to remove your CD/DVD drive and post the model number here. The model number will be somewhere on the label, and there may be a Dell number, AND a vendor number written somewhere. Post both, or post a photo so I can read it.

Try cleaning the drive first though. If that doesn't work, try reseating the drive... please remove all power and AC before working on the laptop.

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'll open it up and get themodel number for you; it is a hitachi-LG, DVD-ROM/CD-RW DVD: 8x, CD: 24x/10x/24x. The Dell part number is W0067.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Let me do some research and I'll get back to you. In the meantime, try cleaning and reseating it. It Can't hurt.... uhhh... unless you use too much cleaning fluid.

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I took it out and re-seated it, still no change. I found the same drive (LG GCC-4240N)for $38 online, I also found a LG GSA-T40N for $44. Can I upgrade to the second drive? :)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
DVD drives are generic in nature, however, some won't work unless you update the firmware for the drive (sometimes risky).

Let me check on those two drives to see what I can find out. I'll be back in a few minutes.

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks! While I am getting help, one of my memory slots isn't reading a memmory chip. I figured the slot went bad on my mother board, coudl it be something else?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
These two drives don't have too many hits on whether they would work in your Dell 5150.
The dependant things to consider is fit (size of the drive), faceplate (can you install your faceplate), I/O (IDE or Sata... I believe Dell uses an interface connector that's not either, but the connector still has to interface with the connector on the drive), and after all that, whether or not your computer will recognize the drive.

The dell manual isn't specific about the size of the original drive. Is there any other model numbers on the original drive other than the Dell W0067. There has to be a Hitachi-LG number we can reference to find the specs of the drive.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I figured the slot went bad on my mother board, coudl it be something else?

Someting else?... normally not. If you put a known good stick of ram in the suspected slot and it doesn't read it, it's the motherboard. It could be just a bad solder joint at the connector, but it could easily be deeper (controller) in which case you would have to replace the motherboard.

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The original drive is the LG GCC-4240N, for the small difference in price I was hoping I could upgrade to the LG GSA-T40N. they appear to have the same physical size etc.

I figured it was the slot or mother board.