Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive

• Please log in to reply

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I will, thanks for the reminder.

Advertisements

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The Sony DW-D56A DVD +-RW from my wife's Inspiron 6000 fit and was recognized by My Computer. I could not open the bay as the shape of the cover prevented it from opening. I didn't try to change covers etc. as my wife would have been angry if I broke her cover. ;-)

Edited by Moe H, 23 August 2009 - 03:59 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yah, I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate that! :)

The only place I can find this drive "new" is on ebay. Not sure you use ebay, but depending on the seller, the items might not even be new. I use ebay myself for many things, but YMMV.

What I suggest is that you call Dell and ask them what model(s) might be compatible with your machine. Not sure they can (or will) help, but it worth a try.

I'm not having much luck finding anything for your machine on google... nothing specific anyways. I'll keep searching.

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have used e-bay for some purchases, but am very careful. I haven't found it anywhere else. I'll call Dell tomorrow, but am not holding out hope that they will help. Thanks for looking for me!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Let me know how things pan out. I only hope the best success for you solving your problems!

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have discovered that a Samsung Or5024 DVD RW will work in my machine. Now I just have to find an inexpensive one; all I have found so far cost around $100.

I'll let you know how the saga ends. :-)

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Makai,
Do you think this drive, Toshiba TS-L632 8x DVD+/-RW DL Notebook IDE Drive,
will run in my 5150?
Moe

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ordered a DVD RW drive for Dell Inspiron 5000 series from Amazon; I'll post how it works.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I did some research and found THIS ebay page. If you scroll down to about the middle, you'll see "Compatible model" with a Dell 5150 listed... so I guess this will work. HERE is a page for new ones on ebay... although some bezels look different depending on what they are originally for.

Moe H

Moe H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Makai,
Thanks so much for taking the time to find this for me. It appears to have the same specs as the one I just ordered through Amazon. If it doesn't work out I'll try this one. I'll post how it all ends.
Thanks again,
Moe

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Good luck to you Moe H! I truly hope it works! Gosh... what a terrible thing to have to go through just to upgrade a drive! Too bad laptop drives aren't like desktops... it would be so much easier! Yes, please PM me to let me know what eventually happens.