Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP2 Crossover

• Please log in to reply

KeithC

KeithC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This thread will be similar to this one, but some things are different so I thought I should start a new thread.

I have two computers, both with new, freshly installed copies of Windows XP SP2.

The Host computer will connect to the internet, so no problems there. But the connection between the two computers has an ! and says that it has Limited or No connection. That happens on both computers.

I have used the Network Setup Wizard a few times with no luck. The Host computer will not even create a "Network Place", yet it will configure the adaptor to the 192.168.0.1 IP address. The client computer will create a Network Place but will still not communicate with the Host computer.

I've tried the advice I've seen elsewhere, including manually setting up the IP address, still with no luck.

Below is the cmd info for ipconfig /all, ipconfig /release, and ipconfig /renew. Host computer first, followed by client. I'm not sure if it will help, but I'll take any I can get right now. (I still have them manually configured and I've X'd out my isp info)

C:\Documents and Settings\Work>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : kc-kp
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-A6-38-7C-9B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : XX.XX.XX.XX
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : XX.XX.XX.X
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 64.83.0.10

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-5B-68-0C
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Work>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

C:\Documents and Settings\Work>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : KPKC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-5B-92-79-E2

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-5B-F2-DB
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello KeithC,
The information you provided was very good, however with the IP address and Default Gateway, rather than hiding the whole address, could you please only hide the last two portions? The first two parts of the IP Address are necessary to determine whats going on -- thanks.

This could be caused by Media Sense. Try Disabling Media Sense.
Download and run the WinsockXP Fix. Restart your computer.
If the WinsockXP Fix did not solve the problem, run the following commands in Command Prompt:
netsh winsock reset -- Restart your computer; if this did not solve the problem, reset your TCP/IP settings:
netsh int ip reset reset.txt -- Restart your computer.

KeithC

KeithC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi DanG,

Thanks for the help.

First up, the first two parts of my ISP IP address and Gateway are:

I ran WinsockXP Fix on both machines. It didn't do anything for the "Limited or No connection" thing, though. I then manually configured the IP Address again for both the internet and the network and the connections showed up.

Problem is, I can ping the client computer with the host computer, but I can not ping the host computer with the client computer.

I ran netsh winsock reset on the client computer, but it didn't seem to help. Should I reset the TCP/IP settings on the client computer just to see if it will help?

Sharing the internet between the two again is beginning to sound like a dream. I suppose I could just buy a router and some patch cables, but I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Have you installed any software-based firewalls? Can you please disable the SP2 firewall for testing purposes. Does your windows have the latest updates? If not, download this Microsoft Hotfix.
Did you try disabling Media Sense?

The 'Limited or no connectivity' message is, generally caused by one of the following:
Corrupted winsock entries; or
There is no response from the DHCP server; or
The lan cable is faulty/WiFi Base station is faulty/misconfigured; or
The network card drivers are not working correctly; or
The network/Wifi Card is faulty.

However, the 'Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected' message is usually caused by Media Sense. Have you double checked all of your cabling?

The /release and /renew commands won't work for you because you have a Static IP Address setup -- and DHCP is disabled. I'd suggest you set your network up to obtain an IP automatically. Also, ensure under TCP/IP settings that it is set to 'server-assigned'.

Have you tried:
- Running the Internet Connection wizard after installing SP2; and
- Re-installing original network card drivers.

Goto Start > Run > cmd > winmsd -- you might have to wait a second before another screen pops up. On this new screen, select Components, then Network, and finally Protocol. In the list provided, each services 'name' should have either MSAFD or RSVP in it. Scroll down through your list, are there any entries without MSAFD or RSVP?

Try resetting the TCP/IP stack (netsh int ip reset reset.txt)

I'll post again later with some more things to do.

underrun

underrun

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Dan G,

I just saw this type of behavior the other day when I configured connection to accept incoming VPN connections. All traffic still worked but the ipconfig tool looked to be busted.

The netsh IP stack refresh but no go.

Finally, I simply assigned a valid static IP to the connection and verified that it still worked (it did of course). I then reverted back to DHCP. Everything is how it was before the install...working.

HTH,

Underrun