Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot read hard drive

• Please log in to reply

MALwareFighter

MALwareFighter

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Hi guys I have just bought bought a new hard drive and a sata enclosure to put the hard drive in.However when I plug the usb into my computer,it does not show up in my computer,however it says that the driver had been installed.Can someone help me?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Does it show up if you plug it into the internal sata ports in the computer? If your computer is IDE on the data cables most likely the only drivers installed were for USB, so the computer still cannot read the SATA drive. Can you go into disk management and see the drive? If so it may need to just have the drive letter changed so it does not conflict with other drives or networked drive( if you use them). Did you format the drive in disk management? " My Computer" will not see HD's when they are RAW( no formatting). Sometimes there is a conflict with 1394. If you don't use the 1394 ports you can try disabling it in the device manager and see if the drive is recognized then. Does your bios see the drive? If it cant see the drive then windows will not see it either.

SRX660

MALwareFighter

MALwareFighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Thanks I am now reformatting will let you know if it works.

MALwareFighter

MALwareFighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Hi my drive is working but I got a problem.I want to transfer a 200gb data into a new 400gb hard drive.How do I do this?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You do not say exactly what you want to do here. Any way you do it, it will take a little time to do it. If you have both drives on the same computer( or in the external USB case)It is just a matter of going thru windows explore( right click "my computer", then click explore, scroll to any folders you want to transfer)and do a copy and paste into the new drive. You can hold the shift key down and copy multiple folders( i think). Anyway, you can copy the whole folder to the new drive with copy and paste. That's what i do. easy and simple.

SRX660

MALwareFighter

MALwareFighter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Sorry if you misunderstood me,but I mean there are three hard drives,one is in my computer ,two is on my usb.However I want to put all my files on the usb drive to another usb drive.However,I can't read the drive which the original lies in, so I need to somehow read the files to transferred it to.