Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hanging during startup

• Please log in to reply

martyn281056

martyn281056

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have just aquired 2nd user DELL Optiplex PC with XP Media Centre (SP2).

1st few days everything was fine, but now during startup it hangs at the blue screen saying 'windows starting' and goes no further. The only option is to start in safe mode.

Just before it started I did a windows update and downloaded a few updates. Prior to that I had loaded firewall and spyware protection.

There are no error messages, but just before it hangs there is a message that it cannot log onto the network and this is sitting in front of a login box for XP Media Centre with the previous owners name and password entered. Note the appears and dissappears in an instant normally, but stays on the screen and needs to be cancelled when started in safe mode.

My suspicion is that it is a registry error linked to the above and a registry utility would clear it up, or maybe seeing whats in msconfig.exe. However I am not sure what I am looking for.

Any help/suggestions ;) gratefully received

PS - have discovered that if I leave the PC hanging and the screesaver comes on, when I click to remove it windows starts up as normal! :tazz:

Edited by martyn281056, 14 May 2005 - 06:47 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you click start then control panel then network and internet then network do you see the connection for the previous owner.

You can delete this if you have your own connection set up