Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.bat File Extension

• Please log in to reply

iSoda

iSoda

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I use batch files. I think there useful, and can still be used to automate many things. Recently I've been bombarded with a couple virus/trojans(wish I found this site earlier) and one of them erased my file extensions. My computer had no longer recognized anyway. After trying to manually readd some of them(prominently exe) I gave up, and popped in my trusty cd. I repaired, not a complete wipe, but repaired windows files and the file extension problem seemed to be fixed. However, after this my batch files stopped working. Instead of opening an executing the specified commands, it merely pops up a blank cmd window as if I typed it from run. I can rename it .cmd instead of .bat and it works fine. I would like to know the extent of the damage, and whether it can be fixed.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since this started with a infection the let's make sure you are clean and healthy.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

iSoda

iSoda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I fixed it. I had gone to file options in the control panel, added a new extension(.bat) and reset it to default. (%1). However, thank you for helping and giving me the links. I will still run the cleanup tools to completely purge my system.

Thank You.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible