Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't log in

• Please log in to reply

Cyphonik

Cyphonik

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I start up my computer and it goes to the user login screen. I select myself because I am the only user on the computer however as soon as I click it. It states windows is loading user settings. As soon as it says that it goes straight to logging off, never goes to the desktop. I have also hit cntr, alt, delete to have it go to the other screen it ask who I would like to login as, I type in administrator it does the same exact thing. I have restarted the computer and tried to enter into safe mode. As soon as i ask it to go into safe mode the computer don't go to the login user screen it just restarts the computer. I have also reset bios to default settings, and I have also unhooked everything from the computer including internet cords, all USB devices. The only thing hooked to the computer at this time is the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. If you have any suggestions or solutions please let me know and I will give you an update as soon as possible. I don't have the windows disk with me however, I can get one from work if i need to do a repair or something on the computer. Please help with this solution. I am in college online courses right now and most my work is saved to this computer. I can redo most of it because I have hard copies but would be better just getting my computer working again. Thank you GEEKSTOGO. I have used you guys before and your awesome.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO
  • In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
  • Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
  • Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
  • Click File and select Save As...
  • Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.
Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
  • Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit
After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Cyphonik

Cyphonik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have done everything that you said, It shows the icon on the disk and everything when I do the d:/i386/dir, however, when I try to copy the file to like this

copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32

I get an error that stays access is denied. Also when I select the recovery console it don't ask me which one or ask for a password for administrator.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

it don't ask me which one

Do you mean this:

At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.

Cyphonik

Cyphonik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
That is correct I press r for recovery console but after that or don't ask for a password or which selection just goes to command prompt I followed directions watching for spaces and upper and lowercase but after the 3rd line it says access denied when I try to copy. However when I do dir I do see the file on the disk. Also I am unable to chkdsk the c: also it just says there seems to be an unrecoverable problem when I do this.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

However when I do dir I do see the file on the disk

On CD, or hard drive?

While at D:>\ prompt, type:
C:
Press Enter.
Will it go to C:\> prompt?

Cyphonik

Cyphonik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
okay, I have hit D: dir, I can see the file that I added on the disk, when I hit C:/ it takes me to the C:

When I put dir on the c:/ then it says access is denied. Therefore whatever reason I can not get into the c: drive.

JimInOz

JimInOz

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Cyphonic,
I have the same problem as you.My posting is a little lower down in this forum.I have seen a lot of varied fixes,& some work for some PCs & other fixes work for the rest.
My problem started after I ran my anti spyware...I believe this is a common thread with this problem.The advice here is excellent.
Good luck.
Jim

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try repair installation: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

stawebster

stawebster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After I get to this part copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32

I get an error that stays access is denied so what can I do now?

Neoshade

Neoshade

• Pip
  • 1 posts
yo im a 16 year old black male who know little buot pc's but the basics so i need help, my laptop wont log on , the log on screen appears and i enter evry thing and then it does not load then nothing happens, most peoples restarsts but mine just doesnt load i need hel-p and i dont have the money or the resources. help please help, im shaun ssazi ganyana on facebook and my e-mail is [email protected]