Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Troy, Stettybet0, Rshaffer61, Broni, other Experts wanted...

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm putting together a middle grade AMD Computer for my parents. I'm bench testing the bare essentials, as I always do, and I can't get any beep codes, video, or a post. Fans turn on cpu and video card though, so it is getting some power.

I have tried 3 different RAM modules, I'm using the correct single channel slot via the motherboard manual.
Have reseated the RAM several times, but it still could be an oxidation problem on the connections.
Cleared the CMOS via the jumper and I have also tried just manually removed the battery
I have tried just on board video, with no video card
I have tried leaving the RAM completely out, powered on, just to see if I can get a beep code of any kind
In addition, I have tried many different combinations of the above mentioned.

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking it is a faulty motherboard, however this sort of problem can be a power supply or CPU too right?

AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+
MSI K9A2GM-F V3 AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX MSI Motherboard
Antec 500 Watt Earthwatts
Generic RAM, 533Mhz and have tried 667Mhz Board can take it. (Just using this until I can buy some 800Mhz)
eVGA 8600GT, also has onboard video

Thanks in advance guys, but I'm stuck on this one. Let me know if you need links or more info about the hardware. Please help.

J.R.

Edit: How ironic. Member 1K as of this post, lol.

Edited by Ferrari, 22 August 2009 - 09:32 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey Ferrari have you taken the MOBO out of the case and tried to boot it?
Maybe a short could be the cause?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah, that's what I mean by "bench test". Everything is out of the case. On cardboard. I've talked to a buddy that is pretty experienced, he is thinking it is the motherboard. I ran across a topic that was like mine where the power supply was the culprit though. I may try to return both. :) Could be the CPU?

Frustrating.

What would help is if I could find out why there are no beep codes. Is that on the +5V side of things on the power supply? Does no beeps generally mean the motherboard is bad? I'll continue to look some things up, but it may just be easier to return. Grr.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would be looking at the MOBO also.
If the PSU is new I have connected just a HD to it and turned it on.
That will put it under a load and allow it to run.
If it runs and does not turn off then I would take it out of the equation for now.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would grab a different PSU and try it, as long as you know it is a working PSU it doesn't really matter. All we want it to do is POST.

This would then confirm either motherboard or CPU - my guess is motherboard. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) I agree with TROY :)
Imagine that a Ninja :) and a Zombie :) agree.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I tried my working CM PSU from my rig, still same results. No post, no beeps. It has to be the mobo or cpu, I'm returning both. I'll keep you updated when I get the new mobo and cpu in. I'm gonna go ahead and return the earthwatts PSU which I had bought at best buy. (Don't ask). I'm gonna get the Corsair 400watt instead, it will save me some money.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks so much guys, good to have someone to confirm my trouble shooting.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and look forward to the ending system.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Keep the CPU - it's the motherboard. I've never seen or heard of a faulty CPU yet.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thanks Troy, I have heard similar things. However, when searching around for motherboards, I was able to find a better Athlon II x2 for the same price. The other cpu was a Athlon 64x2, which I believe is a bit older technology and slower on the FSB or MT/s however AMD does it! Confusing. :)

Its been completely rearranged now. The memory I was using was used, but I doubt all 3 sticks were bad, so I bought new memory too. Also, I really like that Corsair 400 Watt with the 30 amp rail that Stettybet0 always recommends, but I like OCZ a lot, and they have a 500 Watt MODULAR PSU for the same price, so I went that direction.

Parents New System (Projected)

Athlon II x2 240 Regor 2.8Ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G
2GB DDR2 1066mhz Kingston HyperX
OCZ 500 Watt PSU (Modular)
Cheap Cooler Master Case
320GB Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200RPM, 16mb cache
Windows 7 RC for now

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I've actually been recommending that 500W OCZ a lot lately. It is similar in quality to the Corsair 400W, and outputs more 12V power (the only type that matters). For the same price (and it's modular), I'd say that's a good deal. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I've actually been recommending that 500W OCZ a lot lately. It is similar in quality to the Corsair 400W, and outputs more 12V power (the only type that matters). For the same price (and it's modular), I'd say that's a good deal.

Yeah, you turned me onto this one as well. I've liked OCZ from the beginning of my beginning :) and I saw you recommend this one the other day. I took a hard look at it tonight, and thought I would give it a go, the Modular part is what makes me pull the trigger on this one.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I like modular :)

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Ferrari. Just have your mobo with processor sticked with only one RAM, PSU and also monitor (its integrated graohic rite?)

Don't add anything else.. Meaning, no keyboard/mouse, no hard disk, no nothing.. Can you at least get to POST? If yes, troubleshoot from there..

If not, change the RAM location or the RAM itself.. If still fails, add a vga card and try to boot.. Repeat the RAM steps..

If still fails, then the problem most probably lies in the motherboard itself..

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
fenzodahl512,

Yes, that is what I was doing. Only the bare essentials were hooked up. mobo, cpu, 1 ram module, monitor, keyboard, psu. That is what I always do before I even think about putting everything in the case. If it posts in that state, I add the hard drive and optical drive. See if it posts and recognizes the hard drive, if so, I then install windows on the bench. Then, I install drivers.

The computer is actually completely done and fully functional before it is ever put in the case. This is how a buddy of mine taught me, it's more fun that way too. :)

Edit: And to fully answer you, I tried everything you mentioned, maybe not here in this topic, but I did try that. Pretty sure its a bad board. New stuff is on the way. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 26 August 2009 - 06:54 AM.