Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System not found!

• Please log in to reply

adk66

adk66

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Startup message reads:"Operating system not found"

Before restoring operating system to factory default I wish to first copy my personal data from hard drive.
I bought a KNOPPIX cd which boots and runs but I don't see my Hard drive icons on the desktop.

My Acer Aspire 8920 Runs Vista Home Premium 64 and has 2-320Gb HDD and is still under warranty.
Acer support, in broken english, has told me to go to the nearest repair shop to save my data before restoring!

I failed to learn my lesson as this is the second time this has happened with this computer and I failed to back up all my data.

Reading other forums, I just remembered that the startup message said: "Check cable conection!"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.........

Edited by adk66, 22 August 2009 - 12:30 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What exactly happened for the second time, and what happened first time around?

XxFadedxX

XxFadedxX

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
You need to force mount the drive with Knoppix. I don't know how to for gnu but for Ubuntu, I had to do that same. The drives are primary Windows so Knoppix won't read them unless it is forced to. If your data is on a partition, you can just reinstall the windows on the main partition instead of doing a full system restore. That way, the data on the partition isn't touched and safe.
Backing up data takes up too much space, only back up the important stuff. The rest, just leave it in a separate partition and they'll be fairly safe.

adk66

adk66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nov 08-One month after purchase instead of normal startup, the computer started in "Acer Arcade Deluxe" (which utelizes the media hardware/software comes with Acer computer) This program can run without starting windows!
Next startup computer went to "Startup repair" every time!
"Windows cannot repair" "contact manufacturer"
Reinstalled from back up recovery discs which i created.

Aug 09-Upon startup, black screen reads as follows:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (Build 082)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros AR8121/AR8113 PcIE Ethernet Controller v1.0.0.4 (2008/01/13)

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 A0 D1 A7 A5 88
Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
Operating System not found

At first, the cursor awaited my next command, was actually rotating clockwise..Its not now.

Nov 08-I paid $10 for the KNOPPIX 5.1.1 CD. I could see the named folders on the desktop however no files inside!
This time i see no folders or files. NOt sure about "force mount" too technical for myself!

........Comments greatly appreciated

XxFadedxX

XxFadedxX

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
http://www.linuxforu...-harddrive.html
This isn't an in-detail way to force mount but this is pretty much how it's done. I had the same problem, but that was when my partitioning failed, I tried to recover my windows but I couldn't so all I could do was reinstall. I couldn't even access anything in my main drive because it was really messed up. You might want to run a check on your bios and hard drive. Maybe it is failing and that's why your windows folder keeps disappearing.
Also, on a side note, $10 for a Free Live CD? That's really steep. Knoppix right now, only sells for $2.00. But lets you download for free.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd take advantage of the warranty.

adk66

adk66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for comments...

Acer warranty support has offered no help at all. Every response I get is from a middle eastern name who simply ignores everything i say and suggests I reinstall the operating system and lose all personal data in the process.
What I want to do sounds so so simple.
See whats on the HDD and remove what's important!

I downloaded PUPPY Linux Operating system..It is simple and works great but when I mount hard drive I see a 300Gb hard drive with nothing on it. Computer has 2-320Gb hard drives.

HAve not given up yet!

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
Did you switch the way your hard drive was being read?
HDMI to ATA.
(Can't remember if that was right off hand.)

And / did you leave a USB drive in?

xD
These are questions I would normally ask if you weren't booting thru a program.
=/

Try anyways.

8D

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try to slave the drive in another computer.

adk66

adk66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I Did not switch the way the hard drive was being read. I did change bios to read dvd first.
No usb drive attached.
Dont understand "slave"

Thanks again

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
How to Slave a Hard Drive: http://www.dtidata.c...ave-hard-drive/

adk66

adk66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
"Slave the hard drive" looks daunting...inside the laptop everything is so tiny. I'm afraid to touch anything.

Bios looks like this: Computer has 2-320Gb Hard drives but why is only one shown??

Boot priority order:
1: IDE 1: WDC WD3200BEVT-222CT0-(S2)
2: IDE 0:
3: CD/DVD: Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500A- (P
4: Network boot: Atheros Boot Agent
5: USB HDD:
6: USB FDD:
7: USB KEY:
8: USB CD/DVD ROM

Thanks for suggestions

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize, we're dealing with laptop here.
You'd have to remove laptop's hard drive, buy USB hard drive enclosure (laptop drive type), and hook it up to another working computer.
...assuming, the drive is still readable.

robert.wiechert

robert.wiechert

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
This could also mean that the HDD controller for the IDE:0 is bad. May need to contact Acer to replace the mobo.