Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File ready to write to disk( can't burn or delete it)

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I'm at my wits end. I keep getting a notice that I have a file ready o write to a disk. I click on the balloon and go to the file but windows won't let me burn it or delete it because there are no bytes. I have tried safe mode and numerous things. I can turn off the windows burning feature in the cd writer properties but will I be able to use Nero to burn with on the same drive? How can I find the file ready to be written? Where are they stored? Has any one a good Idea on how to delete this file? Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Nero will be fine.

The files for Windows built-in CD writing live in this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\"your user"\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning.

When you right-click and "send to Drive D", all Windows does is copy the files here and whatever's in that location gest burnt to disk when you tell it to.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks for giving the location, We can't burn or delete this file. It acts like it is not even there like a ghost file. It seems to have lost a link and I can't delete it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
Click Start...Run...and type Net Stop Spooler... Then press Enter.... Shutdown the computer and restart. The print jobs should be removed.... If they are not, shut down and reboot the computer again...

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
That would work fine if we were printing, but this in in regard to a file hung up in the Microsoft cd burn temp file that can't be deleted. Thanks Anyway

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try what I asked...

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
No I haven't tried what you have asked, I'm not at that computer. Explin what stopping the spool would help with a file in the CD burning area?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it will clear out anything in the print spooler and you will stop getting the message

notice that I have a file ready to write to a disk

and that is what were trying to fix

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks for your Patience, I will try that solution. Picky

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I tried ' NET STOP SPOOLER " and that didn't solve the problem. I tried deleting the file again and I get his error message " Cannot delete file: cannot read from the source file or disk" . I also tried removing the cd burner from device manager and rebooting. That lasted message free for on boot. The very next boot the write file to cd message was back. I finally turned off the windows cd writing service for now an we are using Nero. I went to the temp file and could not delete it there either. Any more suggestion would be nice. Thanks for your help. Picky

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get WhoLockMe...
The program has a handy Explorer extension, which shows which Windows process is locking the file. One click kills the process...it doesn't matter if its a virus, Trojan, spyware, or a dialog box enhancer, after which you can delete the tenacious hanger-on.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks, I will install and let you know what happens tomorrow evening. Thanks Again, Picky

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi again, The program who lock me didn't work "BUT" a similar program called "Unlocker" did work and the file is not history. Thanks for some great tips. Picky

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I think you mean is history and not

the file is not history

your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)