Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to find specific file settings from registry?

• Please log in to reply

Mrco

Mrco

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
So I have a file that is more than 6Gb in size and approx. 80 folders inside it. It is located on my "C:\Program Files\" drive, then I moved it to the "G:\" drive last year. I had to re-arrange the entire 80 folders (and they have aligned to grid checked off!). So it is a precise pixel-position, I am NOT wanting to arrange them again.

I now have to move this file to the "N:\" drive. Seeing the mass hassle that was required of me last year, I read about something using the registry. I know that the settings change when the file is moved because the registry has this file under both the "C:\Program Files\" and "G:\" drives, but not the "N:\" drive.

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, and I think these settings are located in
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\#\Shell]
where the # is 1-847, but I'm not sure.

How is a good way to find my file?
And can it be copied from G:\ to N:\?

Edited by Mrco, 23 August 2009 - 02:34 PM.

Advertisements

Mrco

Mrco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hate to double post, but I posted the topic during night, when no one is on.

No one really knows anything about this?

Edited by Mrco, 24 August 2009 - 03:20 PM.

Mrco

Mrco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hate to triple post but its been eight days... No one?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
don't bump your thread... people that can help will not even look at your topic because they see several replies to it and think you are already getting helped ... :)
sorry I can't help you but...I will ask some other techs to take a look at this in case they missed it...
quick question though...why do you have to re-arrange the entire 80 folders and to a precise pixel-position...
maybe if I understood whats going on I could help...

Mrco

Mrco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry- didn't realize the amount of replies was how it worked. I'm used to the persistent bumps for more replies-kind of a thread.

Anyways, it's a huge folder and this main folder connects everything I work with. Since it has 80+ folders and links inside, (icon sized at 1024x768) I need to place (and am used to) certain things in certain spots. It's all a matter of organization.

There's a lot of white space, leaving plenty of room to lead my eyes around the folder easily. I was just wondering how to import/export registry keys from and to different areas. And, how to find specific keys regarding your file settings.

EDIT: And these file settings reset every time I move the actual folder to somewhere else. You can imagine the hassle involved... 80 folders not even in order in tile mode...

Edited by Mrco, 31 August 2009 - 04:16 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I don't think you can do that...it would be hundreds or even thousands of registry settings and even then the directories would have to be changed as well or windows would whine( throw error messages about not finding whatever) constantly...
you could clone the drive you have setup the way you want to another new drive and it would be the same as what you have now...they are bit by bit...sector by sector copy of the drive you have now...
I will ask other techs to review your thread but I wouldn't get my hopes up...

Mrco

Mrco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for breaking the news...

So you think that these settings are stored in more places than just what I found: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\#\Shell]?

I thought about cloning it, but it is hardly workable. I'm merging more folders into that same drive (so then others would be left out). *sigh*

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep..for every file there are multiple entries...the Master File Table (MFT)..
Probably the most important of the key system (metadata) files that define an NTFS volume, the Master File Table or MFT is the place where information about every file and directory on an NTFS volume is stored. The MFT is in essence a relational database table, containing various attributes about different files. It acts as the "starting point" and central management feature of an NTFS volume--sort of a "table of contents" for the volume,
more here

Mrco

Mrco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Nice read. So basically my large file has tons of links to other attributed locations.

Thanks for answering. I guess I'll do it the hard way, placing each icon to it's spot. I suppose compared to the tech-way to do it, its the easy way.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep... :)

So basically my large file has tons of links to other attributed locations

not just each of the 80 folders...every file in each folder too... :)

Mrco

Mrco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sometimes I think computers are unnecessarily complicated. Oh well, it keeps from its normal users from abusing it.

No need to reply- got some sorting to do :)