Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard not working - ps/2 and USB

• Please log in to reply

acserrano

acserrano

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Dear G2G

On my desktop PC, my PS/2 keyboard all of a sudden just stopped working. I tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers from Device manager, but no change. I disconnected the keyboard and it worked on another machine ok. Even hooked up a new USB keyboard to the PC, it installed fine but does not type any characters.

Here are the strange symptoms:

• When you disconect and reconnect keyboard, it restarts the machine.
  • USB keyboard does not type any letters

Any ideas on what can be done to correct??

Thanks.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

When you disconect and reconnect keyboard, it restarts the machine.

Are you referring to the USB keyboard? If you're referring to the PS2 keyboard, this is a no-no as you shouldn't do this while the computer is on.

Your problem appears to be hardware related... more specifically, the motherboard. However, let's not go there yet.

Can you boot your computer to Safe Mode. Booting to Safe Mode may not work, because you need a keyboard to do it... however, it should at least be attempted. Restart the computer, and continually tap the F8 key directly after the computer begins to start up. If you're able to get the Safe Mode menu, then your keyboard (and motherboard) may be ok. If you can't get to Safe mode, then it may be more serious than a keyboard problem.

Please post the specs of your computer. If its an OEM... ie, dell, hp, etc, please post the make and full model number.

acserrano

acserrano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Makai -- Thanks for taking interest in my problem !

Specs: self-build. Asus P4c800-deluxe MoBo; 320gbHDD;1gb Ram; MS XP/SP3.

More Info:
The same problem occurs for both the PS/2 and the USB keyboard.
Using the PS/2 Keyboard I can in fact enter Safe Mode. The keyboard allowed me to use F8 and log into Admin. The keyboard actually worked fine in Safe Mode.

When I rebooted and went into Normal windows, the keyboard stopped working. It actually freezes my mouse when I attempt to do the first keypress. I have to reboot the machine.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Using the PS/2 Keyboard I can in fact enter Safe Mode. The keyboard allowed me to use F8 and log into Admin. The keyboard actually worked fine in Safe Mode.

This is good to hear... but I can't tell from your post if the USB keyboard will also allow you to get into safe mode. Does it? Or will only the PS2 allow you into safe mode?

When did this problem start occuring? If it was recently, perhaps a System Restore would help. Also, have you had SP3 installed for a while and was the keyboard working fine after you installed SP3?

By the way, I used to own that same motherboard! Great motherboard for its time... well, actually, it's still a great board, even in this time!

acserrano

acserrano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Makai

USB keyboard allows you to get into safe mode.

Fairly recent problem-- SP3 has been implemented on this box for more than a year without issues.

System restore -- tried that but it seems like they just do not work. Not sure why they all fail when I try it. I even shut off my antivirus.

Is there any restorative way in which I can get the keyboard drivers back to factory spec ? Maybe they are corrupted. The uninstall/reinstall form Device manager does not seem to cut it.
I think it is very strange why they only work when I am in Safe mode.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Thanks for the clarification on the USB keyboard.

As far as I know, Windows doesn't require you to install a driver for the PS2 keyboard. Perhaps the USB does though.

It's most likely a registry problem or some other conflicting driver in normal mode. Have you recently removed/installed any software or hardware? Have you tried a Windows repair yet?

What you might try is going into safe mode and creating a new user. Then boot into normal mode, log onto the new user, and see if the keyboard works normally. At least this way you'll know if it's a conflicting driver or a user registry problem. Worth a try.

acserrano

acserrano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Makai

I do think the best way to correct this keyboard issue will be to just do a windows repair, but unfortunately I have hit another brick wall on this. Perhaps you can help on that issue?

When I booted my original Windows XP CD to go to setup, I was surprised to see that my 2 SATA RAID HDDs are not showing in the initial Windows setup screen. I usually boot from those drives so they obviously are there. Hence I cannot run a repair on them. This is very frustrating.
Do you have any idea as to why these drives are not "showing", and is there a way I can force them to show for repair ??

Thanks

acserrano

acserrano

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Makai
Just to close this out. It looks like a repair option was not available to me.
But, I was able to force a clean reformat and reinstall of Windows XP SP3. Luckily... I had some recent backups so i did not lose that much at all.

Now everything works fine and is back to normal.

Many Thanks Again for trying to lend a hand.
:)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry I didn't get back to your post. Normally, I give the OP 4 days before I drop them from my subscription listing once I've replied to them. If the OP doesn't get back by then, I figure they must have given up or moved on. That's why I leave the PM message in my signature.

In any case, I'm glad you got it worked out and it wasn't a hardware problem. Take care!