Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screwed 2nd time can my xp pro disk be bad

• Please log in to reply

gdsos1

gdsos1

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Previously (http://www.geekstogo...&st=60&start=60), I got screwed with the virut virus. So I needed to reformat and reload my copy of windows xp pro. When loading I got numerous errors of not loading files without errors or not a valid windows disk. Did not have this 3-4 years ago when I originally used it.

The format was first with a non quick one (took 3 hours), and I the wrong driver for the SATA controller on my gigabyte board. After it did the format I redid the startup and loaded selection G, the right driver (via floppy) and chose the quick format (a couple of minutes to format). Then I got the problems as mentioned above. Due I have a bad disk, chose the wrong driver, or do I still have problems with the virus? I did not change anything for the bios or hardware settings.

Further data points:

Motherboard is gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI, used driver 12 for SATA, see page 9 of http://www.gigabyte....mp;FileID=16494

SATA Hard Drive is WD3200KS-00PFB0 320 Gbytes

Any suggestions?

gdsos1

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you checked the XP Pro cd to see if it is scratched or maybe even cracked?
You can always borrow a XP Pro cd from someone.
The only exception tot his rule is if you have what is called a OEM version.
If that is the case you will have to buy a new installation disk. :)

gdsos1

gdsos1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thank you for replying,

The CD is clean

The 2 responses from my install many errors were

1. Setup can not copy the file xxx.xxx. If you are installing from a CD, make sure the windows XP CD is in the CD rom drive.

2. The file was not copied correctly. The file setup on your harddrive is not a valid windows XP sysstem image.

After doing some more investigative work I believe I am going to run chkdsk via the recovery console if possible from the setup? The investigative work was that I retried an install and got a few less errors. I might have a bad hard drive. I noticed during my battle with viruses that the hard drive did go into a chkdsk mode. I need to stop buying WD.

gdsos1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your XP Pro cd a original Genuine Microsoft disk or a burned copy?
Yes you can run chkdsk from recovery console. Here are the instructions on how to do it.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

gdsos1

gdsos1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for the assistance. I took the computer in for diagnostic and found that the power supply was bad, one of my 1 gig memory stick was bad, nec dvd burner was bad (bootup does see ide device), and believe it or not the analog output of my video card was missing one of the colors. The digital output seemed to be ok. I guess when the power supply goes it can take alot with it.

Hopefully the ide ports are ok and all I need is to replace the drive.

gdsos1

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WHEW!!!!!
That sounds more like a power spike then just dying.
Was the system on a surge protector?
Did you by chance have a power outage lately right before all this happened?