Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I have a lot of jpg files (pictures) on my computer that must have come from downloads and websites. Can I safely delete these? If so, how do I delete more than one at a time? THANKS!

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
These can safely be deleted if you don't want them. If you're using Firefox, these are probably located in C:\Users\"YourUserName"\Downloads\..? ("YourUserName" is to replace whatever your account name is..) To select more than one, use the drag option by left clicking and holding down the click until you have selected the ones you wish.

Probably best to clear your temp files as well.

Next we'll clean up your temporary internet files and such.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

Caution: This program is for Windows 2000, XP and Vista only
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thanks, I downloaded the program and it deleted a lot of them. Do I need jpg files that start with Cop95, Cop98, etc. or can I delete these?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this program now and see if it cleans anymore of them out.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Just out of curiosity, would you mind giving a location of these files? It may give us ideas on how to better get rid of them, since the temporary file cleaners tend to clear out some of them..

Just right click one of the pics, (Cop98 or whatever) and choose properties. When the box pops up, it will show the location of the file, by filename. Copy and paste that here if you could.. double clicking the filename will highlight it.

EXAMPLE:

Posted Image

-Jason :)