Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire 5315 Not detecting Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

ClosetStarTrekker

ClosetStarTrekker

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop computer running Windows Vista. I got sick of Vista being so slow so I wanted to take Vista off and reload the computer with Windows XP. I took Ghost images of the hard drive partitions and used fdisk to repartition the hard drive (to get rid of the small partition with the preloaded programs on it) I inserted the install disk for Windows XP, it loads but when I am asked if I want to intall WIndows XP I click on yes, then it tells me that it can not detect the hard drive.

After using fdisk to partition the hard drive I have formatted it, and accessed the drive so it is definitely there and accessable but Windows XP is not recognising it.

Can you help me be able to get Windows XP to recognise the hard drive?

THank you for your help.

Paul

Advertisements

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I think it may be a SATA Hard Drive which needs some drivers for it to be recognized by Windows XP - you may have to slipstream the drivers into your Windows XP installation.

You can read more here : Tutorial

Edited by Randomlygeneratedusername, 24 August 2009 - 05:40 AM.

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I also recommend you slipstream other drivers for your computer that are compatible with XP, or else you'll end up like me with no functioning USB ports, laggy graphics, no ethernet and wireless and no sound.

I ended up resolving it by burning the XP drivers onto a CD which my computer luckily did recognise.

Edited by Randomlygeneratedusername, 24 August 2009 - 05:46 AM.

ClosetStarTrekker

ClosetStarTrekker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello Randomlygeneratedusername

Thanks for the advise. I did slipstream the SATA driver and that worked wonderfully, however I didn't take your advice on the other drivers. I didn't have them at the time. I have now managed to get the Wireless and Ethernet working properly but having trouble with the sound. I have installed the Realtek driver, the system recognises it all but still its says the device can not start. Could you please advise me on the best way to proceed?

THank you
Paul

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
What service pack are you running?

Have you tried installing the HD drivers from here? - Link

ClosetStarTrekker

ClosetStarTrekker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello Randomlygeneratedusername,

I am running service pack 3 at the moment. I have downloaded and installed the driver you have suggested. No go. I have been using the driver supplied by Acer themselves. When I look at the device through the device manager it is telling me "This device cannot start (Code 10)" if this helps you out any.

In my way of thinking (and you probably know a lot more that what I do) the driver is working fine its the actual sound card that isn't. If this was one of my old desktop computers I would have taken the card out and put it back again and tried to install the drivers again, but difficult to do that in a laptop.

You help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Paul

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I'm no expert in these fields, It's just that I had this same problem.

I think SP3's built in UAA driver conflicts with the Realtek driver. To get rid of this problem disable the MS UAA driver inside System Devices in the Device Manager. Do a reboot and navigate to the same driver and but this time uninstall it.

Try to do another installation of your Realtek drivers, I had a look at the Acer Aspire 5315's driver page and it looks like it only has Windows Vista.

ClosetStarTrekker

ClosetStarTrekker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi Randomlygeneratedusername,

I had a look in the device manager, I can't see a MS UAA driver anywhere? Looked in the System Devices and also selected Show hidden devices. I am at a loss. Is it definitely supposed to be there?

Any more idea's?

If you look at the screen where the drivers are on the Acer website, you can actually select what operating system you are using for the drivers, have a look here...
http://www.acer.com....;CRC=3559666452

That should take you to the page I got my drivers from.

Regards
Paul

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Have you tried installing this fix from Microsoft?
KB888111

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you install the chipset drivers?
That should actually be the first 1 going in.

As an FYI, changing from Vista to XP is a daunting task because almost all new computers are built on Vista and they stop making drivers for XP.
With some searching, you will usually get it to work.

When it is functioning, I will recommend that you save all of the drivers to a CD for safe keeping (and do not lose it).

123runner

ClosetStarTrekker

ClosetStarTrekker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello Randomlygeneratedusername and 123Runner,

I have tried the KB888111 hotfix and it isn't letting me install it, saying that I have Service Pack 3 and that is it already installed, though I can't see it in the Device manager.

I have already downloaded and installed the Chipset drivers too.

I am also using the drivers from the Acer website, drivers that are labeled as being for Windows XP.

My next option I think is because the MS UAA driver is not appearing in Service Pack 3, I might download and install Service Pack 2 and install the hotfix mentioned. What do you think of that idea, let me know?

Regards
Paul

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
You do not need to downgrade to SP2.

A registry edit can trick the computer:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows

On the right hand side of Registry Editor there should be "CSD Version", double-click it to change it from 300 (SP3) to 200 (SP2). Reboot to apply the changes and now you should be able to install the fix.

After if you were successful then you can change this registry key back to 300, just reboot again to apply the changes once more.

Hope it works :)

Edited by Randomlygeneratedusername, 30 August 2009 - 04:30 AM.

ClosetStarTrekker

ClosetStarTrekker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello Randomlygeneratedusername,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I have never been so happy to hear that silly little Windows jingle. I managed to get the driver to work, thanks to your help.

Now I can confidently go ahead and do the same thing to my wifes computer knowing that I will actually get it to work.

Thanks again

Paul

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I'm glad to know that your hardware issues are finally resolved.

Good luck !

:)

Randomlygeneratedusername

mysoogals

mysoogals

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have same Laptop Acer 5315 it was pre-installed with Vista home basic 32bit after while it started to piss me off, so i removed it and change to my old XP, when i try to boot it gave me that blue screen of death ! i find out you need to switch in bios to IDE = mode so it reads 32 bit operating system, acer 5315 has support for 64 bit, if you want to reinstall 64 OS you need to set it into ACPI mode in bios ! :)

oh and never EVER EVERRRRRR MESSS WITH THE BIOS UPDATED ON WINDOWS DO NOT FLASH BIOS IF ITS WORKING FINE IF YOU CAN BOOT AND RUN OPERATING SYSTEM AND FAN WORKING GOOD THEN DO NOT MESS ANYTHING WITH BIOS

thats my advice to all acer 5315 owners ! :)

i messed up my bios cost me 100 dollars to get the bios chip re-programmed and implanted back. ! If you have Heat problems ! you Really need to freaking Clean your FAN and intake Area my acer 5315 was over heating every 30 mints, when i clean laptop i never feel the heat again !

i signup just to tell you this lol ! nice forum