Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

desktop icons have turned black

• Please log in to reply

ka1786

ka1786

• Pip
  • 5 posts
my desktop items have just turned black, it kept the shape and the words still appear but its got no colour jus black. see picture to see what i mean. please help!

Attached Thumbnails

• desktop.jpg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello kat1786.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

I'm not really familiar with Vista but I do remember something about clearview and it may be enable on your icons.
Also Right Click on your desktop
Go to Properties
Then to Desktop
There should be a Dropdown menu for what you want to change.
Open it and click on Icons
Check to make sure there is no Color Background assigned to them.
If so then change it to none.

Does this help at all?

ka1786

ka1786

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i have windows vista, when i right click my desktop i dont have a properties tab however i do have a prsonalize tab but thats no help, is there any other way? and what do you mean about clearview exactly?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this:

1. Right click on the My Computer, select properties.

2. Click on the Advanced Tab

3. Click the on the Settings button, you will see a new window showing numerous number of options related to the GUI of windows.

4. Check the box which says “Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop“. and click Ok 2 times.

5. That’s it ! Done.

Let me know if this works for you

ka1786

ka1786

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the box is already checked, infact all of them are, i tried to uncheck it and the then check it again but its no different. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this
Launch an elevated CMD window, ie Right click, Run as Administrator...
Shutdown Explorer Process from the Task Manager
In the CMD window go to C:\Users\<ProfileName>\AppData\Local
Do the following command: attrib -H IconCache.db
Do the following command: del IconCache.db
Do the following command: start explorer

ka1786

ka1786

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i tried doing it but it wont let me it keeps saying it cannot find the path specified, look at pic to see what i mean :)

Attached Thumbnails

• cmd.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok let me look into it a little more

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A few questions:

Did this just start to happen?
Was there any software installed right before issue started?
Any update to software?
Anything downloaded from the internet?
Any driver updates done?

ka1786

ka1786

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it happened a little while ago, all i remember is it being normal one minute and then corrupted the next, nothing was installed as far as i can remember but i did get rid of some useless software like winzip and this background walpaper software called soft shines 3d or something like that

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm being that it started that quick I'm wondering if possibly there may be a infection.
Let's make sure that your system is clean and healthy before we go any further. This way we are not fighting something we can't see.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here