Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CANT FIND XP DRIVER FOR MY CHIPSET

• Please log in to reply

Xclamation

Xclamation

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all, I have recently purchased myself a Gateway DX4300 (see below for specs) The Problem is that I do in fact have the "stock HHD" in the unit still with Vista 62 bit (which makes me want to vomit) But I also have added an older HDD that I must use for work, The problem is that I do have XP running fine but I cannot find all the drivers for the new Chipset in the computer and all of its components, And the only problem with that is that i cannot access a VPN that I need to log into work , and not a VPN that you yourself can create its accessed from a web page for my company. NOW I have had my Tech crew at the office take a look at the unit dozens of times and they just can’t seem to figure out why exactly the VPN won’t allow me to access, and they have recently come to the conclusion that it’s could very well be the fact that my computer does not fully recognize the chipset in the new computer (AMD RS780/RS740/SB700)
Which at this point I’ve come to realize that this could very well be the problem in the case that the VPN does in fact check to make sure everything is working properly on the computer for security purposes. PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP AND HAS DELT WITH THIS CHIPSET AND HAS WHAT I NEED PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP, it would be MUCH appreciated to all that read this and have input for my particular situation. I will put the specs of my PC below.

Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X4 7750 Quad-Core 810 Processor (2.6GHz, 512K x 4 L2 Cache)8
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit) with SP1
Memory: 8GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory (4 x 2048MB Modules)9
Chassis Designed for power and productivity, sleek and stylish mini-tower PC
Video: ATI® Radeon™ HD 4650 Graphics with 1GB Discrete Video Memory9
Hard Drive: 1TB 7200RPM SATA hard drive4
External Ports: (8) USB 2.0 ports (4 Front, 4 Rear), IEEE 1394a, VGA, (2) PS/2 Ports, HDMI™
Application Software Microsoft® Works 9.0, Microsoft® Money Essentials & Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 (60-day complimentary trial period)3
Audio: High Definition Audio with 7.1 Audio Support
Available Expansion Slots Available: 0 - PCI-E x16, 1 - PCI-E x1, 0 - PCI v2.3 (5V)
Digital Media Software Cyberlink® Power2 Go™ & Cyberlink® LabelPrint™ supporting LabelFlash™7
Dimensions (Box) 11.2" (H) x 17.7" (W) x 22.1" (D) or 284.48mm (H) x 449.58mm (W) x 561.34mm (D)
Dimensions (System) 16.3" (H) x 7.1" (W) x 17.3" (D) or 414.02mm (H) x 180.34mm (W) x 439.42mm (D)
Keyboard Premium Gateway Keyboard
Media Card Reader Multi-in-One Digital Media Card Reader with Photo Frame Button5
Memory Capacity Maximum 8GB
Motherboard Systemboard with AMD® RS780 Chipset
Mouse USB Optical Mouse
Network 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Optical Drive 18X DVD+/-R/RW Super Multi-Format Dual Layer Drive featuring Labelflash™ Technology7
Power Supply 300W Power Supply
Security Software Norton™ Intenet Security 2009 (60-day trial)6
Speakers Amplified Stereo Speakers (USB Powered)
Warranty 1 Year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty with Toll-Free Tech Support10
Weight 25 lbs. (11.3 kg) system unit only / Approximately 35 lbs. (15.9 kg.) box

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
So your saying that your using a drive with XP on it in this machine and cannot find the drivers for the chipset? Please clarify your post, seems a little gray to me.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

From what I can find, Gateway does NOT provide XP drivers for that system. This is not uncommon as most manufacturers are now using Vista only hardware in their computers.

Lastly, where did this old hdd with XP on it come from?

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 24 August 2009 - 11:29 AM.

Xclamation

Xclamation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
What i had done was take the an old HD out of an older somputer that i had so i had the choice to run Vista or XP on the machine, BUT on the drive that i run XP on (both SATA Cabled Drives) it will not and I personally cannot find the Drivers for my particular chipset on it (AMD RS780), i have previously read other forums of people running into the same problem as me with a similar ACER PC and My PC that i have now, but there were some people that said they were able to figure out the problem and get a compatible driver, Those people that did post that are now MIA and i havnt been able to reach them due to the fact that they were relavently older posts.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just dd a search on that particular chipset.

No XP drivers available anywhere. Vista drivers only.

Also, if that old hdd came out of a branded system Gateway, HP, Acer, etc), it would be illegal to install on ANY other system due to Microsofts OEM EULA.

Your IT people should have known that.

Murray

Xclamation

Xclamation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
To which i query, Why is it that on other threads ive read people were in factvery successful with this. My knowledge of this sort of thing i guess has run out, and im at wits end, I must Have these drivers, They must be made somewhere, is there anyway i can trick my XP HD on running an Older driver

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Also, if that old hdd came out of a branded system Gateway, HP, Acer, etc), it would be illegal to install on ANY other system due to Microsofts OEM EULA.

Your IT people should have known that.

Murray

What about this?

Murray

Xclamation

Xclamation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Even if i have completely wiped the HD since the Machine Change. I Have a fresh copy of XP (not one that came with a cumputer) that i had formatted and put onto the HD.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Your only hope: Compatibility Mode

Murray