Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity XP 64 part 2

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Ok as with anything you try Step 1 back up. If you can't do a backup Step 2 Make a system restore point
Click on me

If this does not work, are you able to connect to the modem direct so we can see if the network cards are ok ?

Taking the router out of the equation. Unplug the modem's power and then plug an ethernet cable directly from the modem to your computer and then plug the power for the modem back in. Wait about 30 seconds for it to initialize, and then go to START-->RUN and type ipconfig /release, Enter, and then type ipconfig /renew followed by Enter. Then type ipconfig and see if you get real information for the IP, Subnet and Default Gateway. DO NOT post the IP address on here, is that what is shown will be your actual IP (not like the 192.168.x.x you got before when the router was in the equation) and you don't want that information floating around the Internet

Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

WHazuki

WHazuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Okay, the Winsock didn't do anything.

I might be able to take the router out of the equasion and connect my PC directly to the modem, but I will have to buy a new, longer cable and do some other tricks. So if you think there's a good chance this will help, I will buy a cable this week and give it a go.

Thanks again!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Sorry I can't say for sure that it will.
It is a process of elimination. Cant you just move your computer closer . It is just to try.This is not a permanent
solution. My thinking is if it won't connect via the modem. Then you either have a bad internet card on the motherboard OR your xp install is scatted. My next option would be a parallel install of windows(or a virtual install) and see if it works.
For this to happen you would need the XP disc and product key.

Have you tried a repair of windows ?

Cheers
peterm

WHazuki

WHazuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
All right, I have both. It's a copy, though, but it should work.

How do I repair Windows?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Follow this guide
Please read it first. Any questions ask before you start.Click on me
Cheers
Peterm

WHazuki

WHazuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
All right, I'm about to repair Windows. It works with Xp 64 as well? And does it remove videocard and motherboard drivers?

I guess it's better to connect my PC directly to the modem first, right? To rule out hardware problems?

WHazuki

WHazuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I already went on ahead but when rebooting with the Windows CD, I get a entirely different screen then what's in the guide. It's asking me to choose a partition and when I choose one, it only gives me the option to install Windows.

I also found out I have Windows XP 64bit Professional. Does that make a big difference?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Windows repair is the same for all flavors 32 64 home pro etc etc.
is this an OEM version of windows ?
Did you get any of the screens as in the guide ? If yes which ones

Cheers
peterm

WHazuki

WHazuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I didn't get any of the screens in the guide. It started right away with the 'choose a partition screen' and went on to one that doesn't look like any in the guide. I only got the option to install Windows, not to repair it. Almost seemed like I didn't have any Windos intalled at all. :s

EDIT: I don't really know what you mean with OEM.

Edited by WHazuki, 11 September 2009 - 04:08 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
OEM is what you get with a machine like Dell or Sony etc.
2 Choices
1) Can you move your computer next to the modem just to try it - not spending money on a cable.
2) We do a parallel install. This leaves your current windows as is but gives an option to boot to another install.

When you set up the router/modem did you run any install disc on your machine that came with the router ?
If yes this can be the problem.
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

WHazuki

WHazuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Nope, no install disc.

1) Yes, I will do this, but I don't know when I'll have the time.
2) How about a paralell install with Windows 7? Isn't there like a beta you can download for free? Otherwise I will gladly pay for it. At least then I will have a safe, legal version and I was planning to upgrade to 7 anyway.

I will let you know as soon as I there is progress on my side.

Thanks!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
I far as I know windows 7 release for download is finished.
before the parallel install lets try a basic.
Please right click on my computer click on properties click on hardware tab click on device manager
click on the + sign next to network adapters choose a network adapter. Click once to highlight then right click and choose uninstall. After it has uninstalled reboot. It should then reinstall the adapter. then try an ipconfig if you get an ip address not starting with 169 then try the internet. If the address starts with 169 then change the cable to the other network port.
Reboot and try ipconfig again
Cheers
OPeterm

WHazuki

WHazuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
That last trick didn't help. The IP-adress started with 169 every time, also when I changed ports.

Have we arrived at the paralell Windows install yet, or do you have another idea?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Let's see if we can get a parallel install to go all the way through.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.