Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can not reformat laptop

• Please log in to reply

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
This Toshiba A210 is the worse nightmare other then my ex wife I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. After a month of un-proud ownership I had to replace the hard drive, this was 1 1/2 yrs ago. Re-formatting this thing was a nightmare, after 12 attempts, it finally took and installed XP Home, never worked properly but had to live with it or go to Vista. I succeeded to format and install XP through an external DVD drive. Now my laptop decided to add grey hair to my collection and just crapped out.
For a couple of weeks, I tried to diagnos a no boot up problem I was having.
It would freeze at start up. Trying to figure what was going on I took many steps, tested memory, hard drive etc.. As it turns out, it will not boot if there is a USB plugged in on any of the ports. One morning, windows kept crashing, freezing and yelling obscenities at me. I slammed the lid shut, causing more destruction, not only did I break the screen, no biggie, use my TV as monitor anyhow, I had errors telling me files were missing, I took out the hard drive, hooked it up to my other PC, drive is readable, noticed system32 folder was missing 75% of the files. I was able to transfer important files, now I want to re-format. Well, ain't that a load of fun.
It refuses, I've tried XP home, XP PRO and vista. With vista it crashes and says couldn't import files or something like that. XP does a quick format but stays at 0% with the full format. After a quick format, it began to install, hung a couple of times, then those "unable to copy files" came spitting out like mad. I'm trying to boot from my external drive and it does not read the drive, all I get is a BOOTMGR is missing error, ER! You think??

My only guess is the hard drive, although it passed the drive test.

I'm stumped!!!

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Have you tried to fdisk /mbr first? That may fix the hang on 0 percent of copying files. What kind of drive is it?

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
I did try chkdsk while in the recovery console but not fdisk. It's a Western Digital ATA drive.
Funny thing, I hooked the drive up to my other PC again via ide/ATA cable, but PC wouldn't recognize it this time around, makes me think drive is at fault after all.

Mr.E

Mr.E

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
hmm... i may be way off the ball here but it sounds like perhaps you messed up the boot sector. To my understanding if that very first sector gets screwed up then reguardless of the condition of the rest of the harddrive you can count on a no go. Maybe if you install it as a secondary harddrive and use chkdsk /f /r or similar to have windows attempt to repair all sectors and flag the bad ones then see if you can format it as a secondary drive.

Just out of curiosity... you didnt by chance try to plug a laptop HDD into a desktop did you?

Another thing that would be worth trying if you haven't done this already is fixboot and fixmbr from within recovery console. perhaps those are all you need to get rolling....

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
Thanks for the replies, "fdisk /mbr" spat out "the command is not recognized".
I performed chkdsk /r and at 75% completion, " the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems".

Thankd for your help!!

racenutalways

racenutalways

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,675 posts
Thanks for your help, new hard drive installed. 320GB HD is only showing 130GB???
ATI graphic card does not detect my TV, I removed the broken screen and hooked up to a
CRT, yuck, I was gonna use my big screen for monitor until I buy a LCD monitor, but....

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You need to use ATA133. Im pretty sure that anything before that does not support over 137GB