Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP freeze no logon, task manager or taskbar

• Please log in to reply

samborina

samborina

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My friends laptop now freezes at the blue Windows XP window. It has Windows XP Home Edition and this is on an old Compaq Presario 2500 laptop. It doesn't even get to the logon window and the task bar, task manager now longer work/appear. This has happened after she downloaded some family photos from a cd but was ok prior to this.
I have reset, removed the battery & ac adaptor and reset, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, but none of this fixes it. What else can I do? I don't know anything about BIOS so if this something else I need to look at I would need idiot instructions.
I hope someone can help me with this please.

I can't get to anything on it now to check disk space or anything so if you need anymore information maybe there's another way for me to get to it that you could also tell me how to get.

Advertisements

-tessa-

-tessa-

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Currently i have the same problem going on, only I downloaded a font and was trying to install it. have you tried a system restore? thats how my dad got our computer to get past the login part.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, but none of this fixes it.

Does it boot all the way to Safe Mode?

-tessa-

-tessa-

• Pip
  • 2 posts
for me i can't get it to go to safe mode. when we got it they set it up for us in normal mode (we assume), and we didn't figure out until recently because we found out about safe mode, and it isnt allowing us to put it in that mode. it just freezes up. everything that happened to samborina's friend has happened to us, including no desktop icons/folders/files. we also cant access the control panel or anything.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
-tessa-
You need to start your own topic :)