Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive backup to another computer?

• Please log in to reply

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am about to wipe this laptop and reinstall the operating system... I need to keep just about everything on here though. It has major overheating problems and will sometimes die if i transfer anything over 3gbs to my ipod (because it overheats)... heh

I just want to put everything on here into 1 file on the desktop of my other computer... whats the easiest way to do this?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Since the laptop is overheating during transfers, the easiest solution I can see is to buy a USB External HD Enclosure, pull the drive from the laptop, then connect/transfer to the other computer via USB. Enclosures are relatively cheap nowadays.

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
could I find one at radioshack you think?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

could I find one at radioshack you think?

Yes radioshack sells them. Just make sure you buy the correct type... ide or sata. You didn't post what machine model you have so there's no way for me to check what type of interface the laptop/hardrive has.

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
No worries, that much I can do... Thanks for your help!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You're welcome! Good luck!