Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply

Fitterone

Fitterone

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,

My computer started freezing up every once in awhile a few days ago and to recover from a freeze up I had no choice but to unplug it from the wall and reboot. Well as annoying as that was at least I could still use the computer sort of. Well as of last night when I plugged it in nothing turned on... So this morning I opened it up to see what I could do. I figured the problem had to either be the Power supply or the Motherboard. When I supply power to the computer there is a little green light on the motherboard that comes on and the fans turn on for about a second then go off again. So I started reading some threads on this forum and tried disconnecting all devices and cards from the motherboard. The problem persists. Then after reconnecting all items I disconnected the 20 pin connector that comes from the power supply to the motherboard and I jumped out the green wire to a black wire and my computer booted up with this 20 pin connector still disconnected. If I remove the jumper or reconnect the 20 pin connector I still have the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated much.

I realize you may need more info on my system in order to help but I wasn't sure what info was needed.

Thanks
Fitterone

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Hi all,

Then after reconnecting all items  I disconnected the 20 pin connector that comes from the power supply to the motherboard and I jumped out the green wire to a black wire and my computer booted up with this 20 pin connector still disconnected.  If I remove the jumper or reconnect the 20 pin connector I still have the same problem.

Thanks
Fitterone

View Post

I don't follow you, what do you mean the computer booted up whilst the 20pin ATX connector was disconnected?

Fitterone

Fitterone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The computer booted up and I am typing this reply on the computer. The 20-pin connector is completely disconnected from the motherboard. The aux 6-pin is connected and the 4-pin that connects to the processor is hooked up but the 20-pin is not hooked up to anything I just have a jumper between the green and one of the black wires. It makes no sense to me that it would work but it is.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're freaking me out with that one!
Really don't think that running it like that is advisable though. What motherboard do you have if the aux 6 pin is connected? - thats usually found on server boards only

Fitterone

Fitterone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't know that much about computers but here goes

My computer is a pentium 4 1.7 ghz and on the motherboard it says
Intel
IMGB10907230
AA
A22917-309

I have found some reference material from Intel with the part # A22917-309 So I guess that is the model # for the motherboard?

Really makes no sense that it would work the way it is but I swear it is.

I even took it in to a local computer shop to show the repairman there. He says he's never seen anything like it before... Long story short I bought a new power supply and installed it. almost immediately it popped and smoke came from it. :tazz: there's $50 down the drain. So now I think it has to be the motherboard but I don't have the money to replace that right now so I guess I'll just see how long it will run with the jumper in the 20-pin connector

Not sure what else to do...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The IMGB1090... is the bios revision & the A22917 is the assembly part number I think. Neither of these are the model number but I may be able to track it down from the bios rev.

The only info I can find so far, is that some microATX Intel boards support SFX power supplies which don't provide the -5V to the board but I don't know what the relevance is in your case.

Fitterone

Fitterone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, I think I've found your mobo - It's a D850GB which is a Pentium 4 board with Intel 850 chipset.
I still have no idea why the system is working without the 20pin connector attached though. I assume the system is fairly new, is it under warranty still? If so, that might be your best option (but don't for gods sake mention about running it with the atx connector disconnected & bridged!)

If this is any help to you, I've located Intels troubleshooting page for that motherboard. It covers the type of problems you were having originally :
http://www.intel.com...desktop/d850gb/

Let me know what you decide to do!

Fitterone

Fitterone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've had this computer for about 3 years now I bought it off of E-bay so no warranty there. I'll read through the page you hyperlinked. Thanks again for your help

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome!