Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advanced Virus Remover (I have no internet usage)

• Please log in to reply

TexasGal1987

TexasGal1987

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So, I was attempting to download Microsoft Word off of a torrent site (bad idea, I already know), and when I tried to install the file all I got was Advanced Virus Remover and a bunch of phony alerts from Windows. I could get into my internet browser and click on most links perfectly fine, except for the links in search engines. For example, I would search for something, and the results would come up normal. However, when I tried to click some of the links, it would just take me to a page with a bunch of ads on it or it would bring up an advertisement instead. I know that this was not supposed to happen since the web addresses of these sites were normal things like ESPN.com or mattressfirm.com

I ran a full scan of AVG, removed the threats that came up, and restarted my computer. However, when I restarted my computer, my regular desktop background had been replaced by a blue background with a black box in the middle that read: "Your system is infected! System has been stopped due to a serious malfunction. Spyware activity has been detected. It is recommended to use your spyware removal tool to prevent data loss. Do not use the computer before all spyware is removed."

I am currently using another computer to type this since the internet no longer works on the infected PC. AVG doesn't appear to help much. I can't perform a system restore since each time I try to get to the system restore menu, I get a message saying: "Application cannot be executed. The file is infected. Please activate your antivirus software." I get the same message when I try to bring up the task manager menu. I tried uninstalling the program, but when I went to the add/remove programs menu, there was nothing on the list. Nothing! Has this virus totally removed all of my intalled programs? I do not have anything like Malware Bytes or Spybot installed, only AVG.

Help! I'm about to cry, guys! What can I do?

Edited by TexasGal1987, 24 August 2009 - 05:33 PM.

Advertisements