Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios at log on

• Please log in to reply

urbrojr

urbrojr

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have an XP machine. Machine had been off for a day and when turned on a black screen with BIOS info comes up. At bottom is directions to press f1 to continue. My clock reverts back to 1200 hours however it can be reset to present time and it continues to tell correct time as long as machine is on. If machine is turned off for a short period it can be restarted with no problem. There doesn't appear to be any other problems. Everything seems to work OK. Any suggestions...URBROJR

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Typically, this is a sign of a dead motherboard battery. All you have to do is remove and replace the battery with a new one, go into bios and reset the time and date and you should be good to go. Refer to your computer/motherboard documentation. If you need help, please post your computer make and model number here and I'll help you look up the info.

urbrojr

urbrojr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the info on the battery. My machine is a custom that I bought a couple of years ago. I will get with them re: the motherboard battery.
Thanks again.....URBROJR

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
A bios battery will run under $4 and is easily replaced by the end user. The battery can be purchased at basically any computer store. If the people that built your computer want to charge you an arm and leg to change the battery, consider just doing it yourself and I'll help you if you need it.