Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HARD DISK NOT DETECTED

• Please log in to reply

abraham2006

abraham2006

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,
I have 80gb IDE HD,it was giving a lot a BSOD and boot up errors,so i replaced it with a sata HD.The problem is when i connect the ide hd as a slave it is not detected in my system.what could be the problem.Please help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how is the IDE drive jumpered? where is it on the IDE cable?

abraham2006

abraham2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,
Do i have to set the jumper,because i thought it should detect without the jumper.The IDE cable is connected to the secondary IDE on the mother board.

abraham2006

abraham2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
somebody please reply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the long response time but we are very busy and sometimes miss a reply.

If there is any other drive attached on the IDE cable then the two drives must be set with jumpers
One has to be master ( Which is usually the one on the end of the ribbon)
One has to be set for Slave ( Usually the one in the middle connection on the ribbon)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry...kind of lost track of you there......with the IDE hard drive...if you've got it on the secondary IDE channel (was it on the primary before? why'd you move it?) i'd jumper it as slave...

abraham2006

abraham2006

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,
Sorry for the delay.As of now i'm not using any ide hard drives.i'm using a new sata drive which is connected to sata port and is working fine.The problem is when i connect the ide hard disk,(ie.. i can connect it in primary or secondary with no jumper settings it doesnt matter right)because OS and other files are loaded on SATA HD.All i want is for the computer to detect the IDE HD when i connect,but that i not happening.So i hope now this tells you what the problem is clearlly.Waitng for your reply.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to slave the drive in another system to check it?
As you stated you were getting BSOD's with it prior to replacing it.
There may be physical damage to the drive.
If bios does not even detect the drive and you are sure it is connected correctly, then the drive is most likely dead.
As far as jumper settings or not.
Some drives do have a setting for single master and require a jumper.
Some do not have this requirement.
Ide ribbon placement on a single drive is always at the end of the ribbon
This is the same if there were two drives and the master drive is always at the end of the drive.