Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"New" CD/DVD drive causes BSoD

• Please log in to reply

tweeter

tweeter

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but experienced in computers. I think I know the cause of my problem, but the computer won't recognize the cd/dvd drive so I need some opinions on how to proceed.

The notebook computer is a Toshiba Satellite A25 S2792. Xp with SP3, 3.06 MGhz chip, 2 GB ram, 160GB HD. All recent anti-virus scans and Malware scans came back clean. All Microsoft updates installed as of 8/24/09.

I recently bought a used replacement cd/dvd drive (model SD-R2412). The new drive checked OK on another computer from the guy who sold it to me. The old cd drive got tossed by mistake so putting the original back in is not an option. The computer stopped recognizing the new cd drive.

The cd drive would not show in My Computer, and in Device Manager, there was an exclamation point next to the drive entry. When I tried to check to see what the problem was, and before I could click on 'properties', I got the BSoD. The STOP code was: "Page Fault in non paged area. STOP: 0x00000050, 0xE3564878, 0x00000001, 0x806EF134, 0x00000001"

I let the memory physical dump complete the process, then shut off the machine. I checked the 0x050 stop code and confirmed that it related to a device driver. I tried to restart using 'last known good configuration' and I get the splash screen showing the system is booting, then immediately a new BDoD. The STOP code was different this time, but I didn't write it down (my bad!). I turned off the computer and haven't tried again.

Normally, I would insert the XP Pro CD and run checkdisk /r, but since the computer wouldn't recognize the cd drive before the crash, I'm not optimistic that it will recognize the drive now to run the recovery module.

I have all of the data backed up as of a week ago, but there is some recent stuff that I don't want to take a chance on losing. Since the computer won't boot or recognize the cd drive, how do I reinstall or repair XP?

I am thinking of doing the following, but wanted some confirmation from the experts here before I attempted any of them.

1. Try to reboot again and see if it will go into Safe Mode before it crashes. (I doubt this will work because XP needs to start booting before I can get to Safe Mode).

2. I can download a new driver for the R-2412 cd drive onto a USB stick, but how do I install the driver if the system won't boot?

3. If I have to bite the bullet and attempt a reformat and reinstall, I'm thinking I will replace the hard drive before I try that. If the computer would recognize the drive and if I can install XP on a new HDD, then I can mount the old hard drive in an external enclosure to retrieve the files I want that may not have been backed up. I have the XP install disk and will call Microsoft about a reactivation before I start, so I'm not worried about obtaining a replacement license, even if I have to buy a new one.

The bottom line that has me stumped is how do I get the computer to recognize the cd drive at this point? Does anyone think that a new install of XP Pro on a new hard drive will solve the problem?

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I wanted to provide as much detail as I could.

Thanks in advance,
Tweeter

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My impression is that the problem is with the CD drive itself and not with the driver. before going any further with software repairs please disconnect it and see if the computer is stable.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I agree with The Skeptic
did your computer ever recognize the new cd drive...were you able to read from it or write to it..
you will not be able to reinstall / repair windows or use memtest or any cd based tool to test your ram without a functioning cd drive...
check the cd drive connections..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hey guys...

Before we get to condemning the hardware outright, let's check a couple things.

Does the drive show up in my computer in Safe Mode or does it bluescreen using native Windows drivers, as well?

Does the machine start and run normally without the drive installed?

I've seen daemon tools and a couple other programs hook the optical drive and cause these same issues. If the machine will run without the drive installed, let's check for upper and lower filters and see if hardware hooks might be causing this.

If there is no joy found in all the above, then I'd have to agree that the drive is defective.

wannabe1

tweeter

tweeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks to everyone for helping. I really appreciate it.

Tonight I disconnected the drive and removed it. The connectors on the drive and inside the computer appear to be OK.

I rebooted the computer and before the XP splash screen appeared, there was a warning, "IDE #1 Error". After 30 seconds or so, XP started to boot. It took it several minutes, but it did boot in Normal mode.

Device manager shows no red X's or exclamation points, so the problem seems to be within the CD drive.

I'm now getting a dialog box stating that the hardware on this computer has changed significantly and windows needs to be reactivated. I'm sure this is because the system is booting with a drive missing. I didn't get this warning when the defective drive was installed.

I'm going to order a new cd drive and since the machine is a few years old, I can't find one locally, so I'll have to order one. I'll post again in a few days after I receive the new drive.

Would it be OK to start the computer again until I receive the replacement drive? I'm not sure what kind of problems I may have with Microsoft wanting a reactivation in 3 days, but I do need this computer for work. Should I call MS and reactivate?

Thanks once again for all the help!

Tweeter

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You shouldn't be asked to reactivate over just an optical drive replacement. Have you installed any other hardware since Windows was last activated?

Let's see if there are filters set on the drive before you activate...just to be sure. With the machine running in normal mode, click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok"

In the left pane of Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

tweeter

tweeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Wannabe!

New hardware first: About 2 years ago I upgraded to the 160GB HD from an 80GB drive. I was visiting a friend in NC and he had a buddy that owned a computer repair shop. The shop copied the files from the old HD to the new one. The changeover went smoothly and I never received any messages about needing to reactivate XP since then. I don't think it would suddenly become an issue after 2 years, but I never say never, especially regarding Windows. About a month ago I upgraded from 1GB RAM to 2 GB RAM. The notebook has been working great until I installed the new cd drive.

The reason I switched the cd drive was that quite some time ago someone bumped my computer when the drive door was opened and broke the slider track. It got worse over time and ended up where I had to hold the cd drawer closed manually in order to get the drive to work. That's why I replaced it.

In Regedit, the Lower Filters are: type REG_MULTI_SZ The data is PxHelp20
The Upper Filters are: type REG_MULTI_SZ The data is Pcatip

If we need to amend these settings, you'll have to lead me. I may be experienced, but I'm no expert!

Thanks Again,

Tweeter

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
With the multiple hardware changes over time, Windows has reached it's tipping point and needs to be reactivated. Certain hardware change combination will trigger this...in your case, probably the HDD and optical drive change (two drives) pushed it over the limit for changes that can be made without activation. You should have no problems with activation.

Do you have Roxio installed?

In the left pane, right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose "Export". Name this file oldfilters and save it to your desktop.

In the right pane, right click on LowerFilters and choose "Delete"...accept the change. Right click on UpperFilters and choose "Delete"...accept the change.

Close Registry Editor and reboot....then shut the machine down and install the optical drive. See if the machine will start with the drive installed.

tweeter

tweeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wannabe,

Everything worked like a charm...for about 3 minutes!

I was typing a Thank You note on my desktop when I got another BSoD on the notebook. Here is what the error message was on the screen:

sbapifs.sys page fault in nonpaged area

STOP 0x00000050 (0xF717B8E8, 0x00000001, 0xF76D9148, 0x00000002)

Below that was: sbasifs.sys - address F76D9148 base at F76D7000 datestamp 4a089512

Any suggestions?

Tweeter

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Was the file mentioned sbapifs.sys or was it sbasifs.sys?

Do you have Sunbelt Counterspy installed?

Advertisements

tweeter

tweeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The referenced file was sbapifs.sys ( I still have the BSoD showing on the notebook)

Sunbelt Counterspy was installed, but I upgraded to Sunbelt Vipre. I thought I disabled or uninstalled Counterspy. With Vipre, I don't use Counterspy anymore. Should it be uninstalled? I can't check from here until we can get rid of the blue screen.

BTW, the only way I can restart the notebook with the blue screen is to unplug the battery, then reboot. Is there another way?

I'm still following your lead...

tweeter

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Holding the power button for 5 or 6 seconds should shut it down...which is what it needs rather that a restart.

See if you can find the Counterspy Program in Add or Remove Programs and uninstall it. Then reboot and see how it runs.

tweeter

tweeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I rebooted the computer normally and it seemed to work OK. I had time enough to get to Add/Remove in Control Panel.

I couldn't find Counterspy in the list of All Programs or in the C:\programs folder. However, there were 3 entries for Counterspy in Add/Remove. When I tried to Remove them, I got a dialog box saying 'this option is for installed software only'. The dialog box then disappeared and so did each Add/Remove entry for Counterspy.

The cd/dvd drive now appears in My Computer. I played a wmv file and it played OK. I inserted a dvd movie and the video was fine but there was no audio. (I checked the disc in my regular dvd player and the movie audio is fine on that player).

I removed the dvd and ran a quick scan with Registry Mechanic 8 and it found a couple of minor problems, but nothing related to the cd/dvd drive or to counterspy. I then tried a quick scan with Vipre to see if there might be something else causing the problems.

After approximately a minute, and during the vipre scan, I got another BSoD. This one does not reference a specific file, but is a 'page fault in a non paged area'. The Stop is 0x00000050 (0xC150EFF0, 0x000000000, 0x804E70DD, 0x00000000).

I think we're (sorry, You're) getting closer to solving this, it's not over yet.

Standing by...

Tweeter

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like a driver issue.

Run it in Safe Mode for a while and see if it gives you any BSODs. If it doesn't, we're likely looking for a bad driver.

tweeter

tweeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wannabe,

Safe Mode seems to allow the computer to work OK. I didn't get a blue screen after 30 mins, so I rebooted in Normal mode.

Booted normally for 3 mins or so, then got BS with following info:
memory_management
Stop 0x0000001A (0x00041284, 0xD2392001,x000008298, 0xC0C000000)

Rebooted in Safe Mode, checked Device Manager, no exclamation points or X's on any item. Went back in Device Manager and disabled the cd/dvd drive and rebooted in Safe Mode. Started in Safe Mode OK. After 10 mins or so, rebooted in Normal with the cd drive still disabled.

Reboot was OK. Waited a few minutes, then started a scan with Secunia PSI to see if that program would detect any out of date programs or drivers. Got about 20% through the scan and got another BS with this code:

Page_Fault
0x00000050 (0xA845F867, 0x00000000, 0xA845F867, 0x00000000)

I'm going to reboot, disable all start up programs in MSCONFIG and reboot again. I'll add one app at a time to see if I can troubleshoot which one may be causing the faults. BTW, I usually have the startup programs very limited - only Vipre Anti-virus, Reg Mech 8, and free ZoneAlarm. I guess the good news is that I won't have to check may programs to see what may be causing the startup problems.

If you can spare some more time troubleshooting this again tonight, I'll really appreciate it. I'll post again to see if disabling all the startup programs makes any difference.

Tweeter