Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"New" CD/DVD drive causes BSoD

• Please log in to reply

tweeter

tweeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
This is maddening! I keep getting different stop codes, and no two are alike!

Was running a scan with spy-bot 1.62 and got:

Stop 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xBA21EB1C, 0xBA21EB1C, 0xF7B54908)
NTFS.SYS – address F7B54908 base at F7B52000

Rebooted in safe mode and disabled all programs including anti-virus, Reg Mech and free Zone Alarm. Disabled all of the Startup items in Msconfig. No items loaded in Start Menu

Rebooted in Normal, which was OK. Waited a few minutes and no blue screen

Started reg mech and did quick scan. Scan clean and no blue screen
Started Vipre and did quick scan. Scan clean and no blue screen

Since Zone Alarm had not been started and I received no blue screen with the other programs, I thought ZA might be the problem. I started IE7 to check the reviews on other free firewalls and got an instant blue screen. (I had upgraded to IE8 but downgraded back to IE7 to see if 8 may be causing problems.)

IE7 blue screen codes:

Stop 0x0000008E (0x00000005, 0xBF81F9E7, 0xB5A8EB0C, 0x00000000)
Win32k.sys – address BF81F9E7 base at BF800000 date stamp 49e87572

If IE7 is causing the problem, and since I have no other browser installed, can I use IE7 in safe mode to download and install IE8 or Firefox? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm not convinced that IE7 is causing the only conflict, but all I can do is try and solve the problems as I come across them. I'll install a new browser if I can, then look to install another firewall.

Comments always welcome!

Tweeter

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
disconnect the cd drive and any other peripherals like printers ect...try using the computer for at least 3 hours and let us know how it goes...

tweeter

tweeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
With the cd drive removed physically and disabled in Device Mgr, the system seems to be working OK.

I'll use it most of the day tomorrow and will report back tomorrow evening.

I feel that the drive itself is causing some hidden conflict and I'm going to get another one to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks to everyone.

Until tomorrow,

Tweeter

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I feel that the drive itself is causing some hidden conflict

I concur... :)

tweeter

tweeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Update

Got the new cd drive and installed it. Computer recognized the drive and it plays cd and dvds OK. I thought that was the answer, but it didn't take long for a blue screen to appear.

I've gotten so many blue screens that I don't bother to write down the stop codes anymore. I know I've got to run a repair install of XP, but since I have SP3 and IE8 installed, I didn't want to use the basic XP disc and go all the way back to SP0. Plus going back that far from SP3 causes IE not to work after the repair because an SP0 repair goes back to IE6. Unless IE8 is uninstalled first, it is a hassle to fix it later, but I understand it can be done.

I did a little research and tried to make a bootable cd with Xp/SP3 integrated using Autostreamer. I followed the instructions carefully, but after burning the ISO files to the cd, on reboot I get "NTLDR not found" and XP then boots from the HD. As long as I don't attempt anything, the blue screen will take over an hour to appear. As soon as I attempt to open Win Explorer to see if NTLDR or NTDETECT are installed on the notebook, I get an instant BS.

Can anyone offer any help using Autostreamer? I downloaded SP3 from Microsoft and when I attempt to integrate the SP with the XP Gold, all seems to go well and I get a confirmation that the integration was successful. I then extracted the Microsoft IMG file using ISOBuster, but I don't think the image is getting incorporated into the ISO image. I'm using the free CDburnerXP to burn the boot cd, and get a confirmation that the burn was successful.

Can anyone see my mistake in how I'm trying to create a boot disk this way?

Thanks in advance,

Tweeter

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what were you doing when you got the blue screen...
pcstats has a good guide on Slipstreaming a Windows XP Install CD with Service Pack 2 here
another way is using nLite...here...I have used both methods to slipstream SP 2 and 3 into xp...they both work but you can and will burn a few coasters...don't be discouraged

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I didn't reread the entire topic so please forgive me. Disconnect the CD drive and run a memory (RAM) test. Download memtest from my links below, burn the ISO file to a disk and run the test for at least one complete run. There should not be any error in the test (no red lines).

Please do not connect the CD drive again until we solve the basic computer's problem.

tweeter

tweeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks to everyone that offered help with this issue.

There was no one routine that would cause the blue screen. I would get it even in safe mode.

I removed the hard drive and installed an extra one I had. That way I still had all my files preserved while I installed win xp pro on the new drive. Installation was normal until "copying files", then I got another blue screen!

This BS eliminated any driver issues on the old HD since there was no OS in the new HD yet. A second attempt resulted in the same thing. The answer had to be in BIOS or a faulty motherboard.

I found the bios version from the registry then went on line and found the same bios file buried on the Toshiba site. There was also a firmware update for my cd/dvd drive.

I burned the bios update ISO to a cd and reflashed the bios on the notebook. That solved the problem!! I then updated the cd firmware.

XP installed without further issue and I'm transferring files and folders from the old HD that is now in an external case.

I have no idea how a replacement cd drive could cause a problem in the bios, but after I removed the original HD, there weren't too many other areas left to test.

Sorry it has taken a couple of days to reply, but it took a while to find the correct web site that had the drivers and bios file that I needed.

Thanks again to all that offered to help!

Regards,

Tweeter

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Well done. Thanks for letting us know.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nice work!

Have you tried it with the "old" optical drive installed?

Advertisements