Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start and shut down trauma.

• Please log in to reply

jonesy3

jonesy3

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all,
I am new to the forum so a big hello to everyone!!
I am having a nightmare on my desktop pc, when i boot up nothing appears on the screen, there is power etc as everything is lit up and my fan is whirring away.....so i go to shutdown using the start button on the front of my case....( hold in for 10 secs ) .......nothing! i can only switch the pc off by reaching around the back and turning of the power supply.....am i right in suspecting this is a hard drive problem ????
Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Jonesy.

Advertisements

jonesy3

jonesy3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Guys,
Any replies/solutions would be appreciated as if it is the hard drive i need to purchase and get up and running as soon as possible......

Thanks,
Jonesy.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does the system boot up when turned on?
Any video at all or any beep codes that you can hear?

jonesy3

jonesy3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, nothing apart from a black screen, i have looked at a few similar posts saying the power supply could be at fault but i have a 650w supply that seems to be working fine, i have had the side panel of and the fans are fizzing away, but what makes me think it could be the hard drive is the fact that if i insert a disc into the dvd drive it wont load up, plus i cant seem to hear the HD spinning????..........................

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not good
Do you have access to another working system?
You can take your drive out and slave it or add to it the working system.
See if the system even sees it and if so then try to access it.
If neither of these are possible then it could be the drive has failed.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi jonesy3,
Any "Events" which preceeded this problem ?

Could you please try booting Comp, then tapping F8 key, you may be lucky and get into the menu for safe mode and be able to select an option.

Does hitting the Keys, CTRL+ALT+DELETE have any response, i.e. when hit repeatedly, shuts down your Computer ?

The Monitor being "Black" could be a problem with your leads, check them, please.
Obviously Video card could be at fault also.

Check your leads, feel there is air coming out the back of Comp (Power Supply), and trying to shutdown without killing the Power through the mains, but by hitting CTRL+ALT+DELETE repeatedly, OR, holding the Power off Button on your machine, as you've done with no result, perservere however.

Please after all this and no luck, disconnect from the wall socket once Comp has shutdown, for thirty minutes, then reconnect to mains and try to boot.

jonesy3

jonesy3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Cheers guys, off to work for the night so i will try the above tomorrow and get back to you,

Thanks.

jonesy3

jonesy3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all,
Just clambered out of bed and tried all the above to no avail, dead !! air coming from the back of comp but still a dead system.........one thing i have noticed is no beeps or whirrings when i switch on, does this mean the HD is not firing up?? i suspect so! ......just need conformation and i will purchase a new one, no problem as i did a system back up last week.......

Thanks.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi jonesy3,
as rshaffer61 said, "Do you have access to another working system?"
We could set the suspect drive as a slave drive, and try to access it.

I'd hate to say go ahead and buy a new drive to find your Motherboard is cooked, or faulty RAM .

Seeing your competent to take off the case, about the last thing I can think is to totally shut down the machine, pull out the lead to the mains power, if you have two RAM sticks, swap 'em over, or pull one out, and try booting. Try all combinations .

The more times you boot and the system doesn't load the greater the risk of damaging the Operating System .

Best test is to pop the suspect Hard drive into a slave config and do as above.
RAM is just trying everything from A to Z . Check though.

jonesy3

jonesy3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK, i will try the RAM, but i dont have another comp or access to one so that rules that out......back soon.

jonesy3

jonesy3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Still no luck.......just thought i would mention that my motherboard, processor RAM and graphics card are all under 1 year old whereas my HD is approx. 5/6 years old, i know this doesnt necessarily mean because its new it wont break, but with the HD being that old maybe its decided to give up the ghost.
I have removed the side of the case and booted up...........no sound at all from the HD?????? :) :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If hd is not spinning up at all then I am inclined to say
Drive Dead :)

jonesy3

jonesy3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeh, thats what i thought, but with not having a great deal of comp. knowledge i just needed some confirmation just to be sure......oh well new drive it is......many thanks for your replies guys you have been a great help,

Jonesy.