Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Freezes and Hangs Up

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I had another tech suggest to get rid of most of those 3000 mails in yahoo mail.
He stated and I agree that this is most of the problem with yahoo mail freezing up and causing FF to freeze.
Let us know how everything works once this is done.

Advertisements

Misty M

Misty M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I've been working on deleting those emails and have also removed some programs I don't use. I'm only removing the ones I know, not touching anything I don't or am unsure of. I'll keep deleting the emails & I'm not forgetting to also delete them out of the Trash folder. :) I'll do all that and then defrag & let you know what's happening. It didn't occur to me until we started this process that Yahoo has to load all those emails when I start it. I'll also empty any folders I'm not using in Yahoo anymore. Thanks so much again!

Misty in Vancouver

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you are done deleting and before you run defrag I would suggest the following:

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Misty M

Misty M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Good morning,

I've pretty much cleaned out all the old emails, in total I had nearly NINE thousand old ones in there! I'm also clearning out folders in Yahoo, getting rid of stuff I don't need anymore. It's taken me 3 days to get to this point. Once I'm done all that I'll run the temp file cleaner, then defrag and let you know how my system is running. Thanks for your patience and your help. :)

Misty in Vancouver

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
9000 old emails? :)
Whew doggy I think you may have discovered the root of your problem. :)
I have to hand it to you for your persistence in resolving this. :)
I applaud you and I will not give up on you till we have resolved this one way or another. :)

Misty M

Misty M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Well aren't you nice! :) I don't feel so bad now. :)

Anyway, I've deleted everything out of Yahoo (took days) & then cleaned out all my folders and deleted most of them. Then ran TFC & Defragged. Before that I ran Eusing Registry cleaner which took out 1626 errors!!

What should I do now?

Many, many thanks!

Misty in Vancouver

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.
Thanks to Sari for the explanation

How is the system running now?

Misty M

Misty M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thank you and Sari for the heads up on Registry Cleaners!! I had no idea they could cause damage. I'm going to uninstall it & won't use one again.

My system is running much better now. :) I'll have to get some additional memory but it's much, much better than before. :)

Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks so much!!

Misty in Vancouver

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Id you run the TFC and Defrag programs I suggested every week you should be able to keep your system straightened out.
Some say that this is to much to run as the NTFS files system is more efficient at keeping the files straightened out.
My believe is by doing this you can assure yourself that they are good.
Also make sure there is no more then one of each of the following installed and running on the system...
Anti Virus
Spyware protection
Malware protection
Firewall

Any more then one of the Virus protection and Firewall could create a problem.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Misty M

Misty M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Wonderful!! Thanks so much! :) I'll run the File Cleaner and the Degrag once a week and make sure I keep on top of the emails. :)

PC is running like a charm now!

Many, many thanks!! :)

Misty in Vancouver Home of the 2010 Winter Olympics :)

Advertisements