Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building a gaming PC on a budget.

• Please log in to reply

JDRun7

JDRun7

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello everyone. So recently a very fine gentleman helped me out with a list of things to buy to make a low budget gaming PC. However, I am not certain how well it would be, or how long it'd be until I'd have to upgrade something. However, here is the list.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7
Graphics card: SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 541 RC-541-SKN1 Black Aluminum bezel, SECC chassis MicroATX Mini Tower
Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
Optical drive: SONY Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1681S-0B - OEM

I would assume that would be fine, and since I'm on a budget, it comes out to roughly $550. I would assume that if I do want to upgrade anything, it would definitely be feasible? I just came from the realization that I could not upgrade anything in my laptop, so having the ability to upgrade anything in the future in this set-up is very appealing. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I apologize for any excess information.

Edited by JDRun7, 26 August 2009 - 02:23 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hmmm, before I recommend anything, just having a Vista disc doesn't mean you can install it on your new computer. That is illegal. For a new computer, you need to purchase a new Operating System. So you need to budget for that.

With that said, assuming you will continue with this build, I would save money by not going with that X48 Gigabyte motherboard. It is a very very nice board, but really I think it is overkill. You would be happy with this board or if you can afford it this one. Now you have some money freed up to buy this Vista 64bit, which comes with a Free Upgrade to the new Windows 7 that comes out on Oct. 22nd, 2009.

I have some more recommendations, but I'll stop there and see what you have to say first. Let me know. :)

Edit: And yes, so far, this system would be upgradeable in the processor department, as well as the video card. Depending on what Memory you buy, maybe that too. Also, any of these boards allows for you to add more hard drives if you would ever need more storage space.

Edited by Ferrari, 25 August 2009 - 10:39 PM.

JDRun7

JDRun7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ah! I didn't know that was illegal. x_x Thank you very much for telling me! Actually, I now have a revised list, XD. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

http://secure.newegg...Number=11503986

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I now have a revised list, XD.

Revised? More like created a new one. :)

Ahh, the first build you were heading towards is much much better. AMD has yet to counter Intel on the Core 2 Duo/Quad processors, not to mention the i7/X58 technology.

Any reason you are looking towards AMD now? Also, your wish list does not include an Operating System, or a Power supply and you are over your budget aren't you? And actually, I'm not sure your first list even stays under your budget. Can you clarify?

Another thing, the 4850 you have in the first build is a better card than the GTS 250.

JDRun7

JDRun7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My apologies. All in all, 800 is the highest I'd go budget wise. I might be willing to go a LITTLE bit higher if buying the OS pushes it that far, but otherwise, yea...

I thought the case in the second list had a PSU with it though? As for leaning towards AMD, I just end up seeing about it a bit more, but that's really the noob in me coming out, haha.

Forgive my ignorance, but why is the graphics card in the first list better than the second? I do not mean to sound like I doubt you, but rather I'm also using this time as a learning experience.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I just end up seeing about it a bit more

So, do you want to go Intel or AMD then? I recommend Intel on this build, with a budget of $800 go Intel.

Forgive my ignorance, but why is the graphics card in the first list better than the second? I do not mean to sound like I doubt you, but rather I'm also using this time as a learning experience.

I misread your original list, the 4870 is a better card, not the 4850. I apologize. Everything I'm about to list are specs for the cards, the higher the number in every category, the better. These are the same price.

GTS 250

Core Clock 738MHz
Stream Processors 128

Memory Clock 2200MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type GDDR3
3D API
DirectX DirectX 10
OpenGL OpenGL 2.1

4870 Comparable Price to the GTS 250 you linked to.

Core Clock 750MHz
Stream Processors 800 Stream Processing Units

Memory Clock 1800MHz
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Type GDDR5
3D API
DirectX DirectX 10.1
OpenGL OpenGL 2.1

And honestly, you can do better than these. :) Just giving you an example/comparison.

Would you like me to put together a build for you? It would be very similar to the Intel build you first mentioned, but better. :)

JDRun7

JDRun7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I feel bad asking you to do so, but it would be greatly appreciated.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I feel bad asking you to do so, but it would be greatly appreciated.

I do it all the time, I'm pretty handy getting around Newegg.

Here goes...

3.0 Ghz E8400 Processor, FSB 1333Mhz
P45 Gigabyte Board
4GB OCZ Platinum Memory
600Watt OCZ Modular Power Supply
640GB Western Digital Caviar Black 7200RPM, 32MB Cache
Saphire 4870, 3600Mhz Memory Clock, 750Mhz Core Clock
Antec 900 Case Very popular, excellent cooling of your components. Let me know if this is too extreme for you, I can find you a case that is a bit less flashy if you want.
22X LG CD/DVD Burner (Does it all)
Vista 64bit

I'll leave it up to you to add it all up, but it is somewhere around $800-$850 I believe. This will be a very nice computer, and you will enjoy gaming on this. That motherboard can take up to quad core processors. i.e. Core 2 Quad, and it can hold more RAM if you ever need more, the video card will play any game you throw at it, the case has plenty of room to hold more optical drives, fan controllers, and/or hard drives. Vista 64bit will allow you to see and use all of the 4GB of RAM, The power supply is modular, so you only have to use the cables you need. This allows for better cable management, and better airflow to keep the components cool which in turn prolongs the life of the computer.

Ask questions, I'm sure you have some. :) jk

JDRun7

JDRun7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
All I can say is wow, haha. That list is intimidating, but I have to say, I'm glad I came to this forum, and I truly realize why now. I DO have one question though (are you a mind reader?). The CPU you listed is a Dual Core I see. I believe I read that Dual cores for high end gaming can actually be better than quad cores. Is this true?

Other than that, I express a very sincere thank you.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Have a look... The higher the number for each program tested with, the better. Click on link below.

Compare Core 2 Q9550 Quad Core Processor, Core 2 Extreme QX6800 Quad Core Processor, Core 2 Duo E8600 Dual Core Processor, Core 2 Duo E8500 Dual Core Processor, Phenom II X2 550 Dual Core Processor

In conclusion, the Core 2 Duo does out score the quad in some categories, but it seems those are non-gaming applications. However, in your budget range, there is a quad core available, but it doesn't score as well as the Core 2 Duo's in your price range.

It always comes down to money. :)

And...

That list is intimidating, but I have to say, I'm glad I came to this forum, and I truly realize why now.

It's always better to get a second opinion. I'm glad you like it here. It's my favorite web site. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 26 August 2009 - 03:36 AM.

JDRun7

JDRun7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Edit: Got it figured out. Thank you very much for all your help.

Edited by JDRun7, 26 August 2009 - 03:25 PM.