Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

omg plz help me T__T

• Please log in to reply

CDZoro

CDZoro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I did all the steps but the same error is still there and cant boot, It might be because my Windows is installed on D:\ instead of C:\

well im gonna try another method i used before after school XD

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this is my canned speech...skip the chkdsk part because you have already done it...
you also don't need the rc.iso because you have the windows cd....just select r for repair at the start and start with fixmbr

do these steps one at a time and try to boot up in between...if it boots normally stop running the rest of the fixes they won't be necessary...

go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r from the rc.iso cd...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
remove the rc.iso cd and reboot...if it does not boot into windows

boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd and Reboot

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
try going into the bio's and changing how your HD is being read.
HDMI, IDE, ect ect.

When I was working on my lappy also a acer.
I couldnt run windows XP as a HDMI, for compatibility reasons.

Try changing how it is read and then try booting from the CD again.
Hope it helps.

Accer 5535

CDZoro

CDZoro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
happyrock, the rc.iso i burned after it says Windows is setting up it gives me a blue screen error about pci.sys... thats why im using the windows original CD (I borrowed from a friend)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
There is a ton of hits on Google about very same problem: http://www.google.co...9fe100d9e542c1e
Some of the solutions points to what we already eliminated: bad drive, bad RAM.

The only other, which could apply is some problem between XP and SATA drives. Is your drive SATA?

CDZoro

CDZoro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
how can i know if my drive is SATA? D: and I remember a friend of mine, couldnt boot windows because of a unmountable boot device error, I told him that i could format the laptop... i was about to do it but instead i reinstalled only the windows xp and booted successfully and his stuff was not erased... could that work for me??

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

how can i know if my drive is SATA?

You have to open the case and look at cables...

Posted Image

i reinstalled only the windows xp and booted successfully and his stuff was not erased

You tried repair, and it gives you same error.
I suppose, you'll get same error, if you try to reinstall over the top.

CDZoro

CDZoro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i wanna try to reinstall windows... i just press Install on the partition without deleting it...

btw.. what does fixmbr do? i have not tried this yet, cuz a warning appears so i got scared and didnt do it

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

i wanna try to reinstall windows... i just press Install on the partition without deleting it...

Go ahead...

fixmbr repairs the master boot record.
You can try it. It can't get worse, than it is now.

CDZoro

CDZoro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok this was my solution XD

I installed Windows again, but like a second OS, so I have windows xp twice in my pc, I can boot successfully but this is like a new account and is like a just formatted windows, the best thing is that i can still access my other files and stuff! =D so im gonna make a back up in my usb (lucky i have a 16gb) and after saving my stuff im gonna totally format my laptop =)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Very well then :)
At least you found some way to deal with the problem :)

CDZoro

CDZoro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
yeah :) why dealing in a repair that might not leave your windows totally correct :) when you can save your stuff and format XD :)

well thanks a lot broni and happyrock for keep helping me with the problem =D!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)