Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program too big to fit in memory

• Please log in to reply

KevinShaw

KevinShaw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This morning, I left my laptop running so my scheduled Anti-Virus scan would take place. When I woke up, I had a black screen, with my mouse. Nothing would come back.

So I reboot and get a ton of MSDOS popup boxes with various programs saying too big to load into memory. So first thing I try is to run Malwarebytes. I get a MSDOS screen and it doesn't run.

So I reboot to safe mode and try again, same thing. I noticed I was able to open My Documents, and use that to open my internet browser as just clicking on the browser yielded the MSDOS box.

I stumbled on your site with a guy having the same problem but there was no fix. It was suggested that he run "Look.bat", which I tried and it was unable to find the file. I tried running notepad as was suggested in the other thread, and get the MSDOS pop up, also tried the Win23kdiag program that was posted, and I cannot run it.

Anything I try to run, sofar has been shut down, and i'm out of ideas.

Edit: forgot to mention my desktop background was changed to "Active Desktop Recovery"

Edited by KevinShaw, 25 August 2009 - 04:30 PM.

Advertisements

KevinShaw

KevinShaw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was able to fix the problem myself. I noticed that the normal direct for what should be the file for MS Windows fetching files, was getting redirected to desot.exe. I did a search for the files, found desot.exe and dddesot.dll. Googled them, found out they were part of a virus, deleted them which allowed me to run Malwarebytes. Ran malwayrebytes and I think squished it.