Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recover images from Hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

Jrocket

Jrocket

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello all,

First off I've been reading and searching this site for 3 days now and it's just amazing!

The equipment:

Dell Dimension 8400
Intel®
Pentium ® 4 3.20GHz
3.19 GHz,1.00 GB Ram

Windows XP Service pk 2
Sata drive WD1600

I can provide more info if needed.

Problem started when I downloaded a program from Limewire(I know).My hard drive was infected and badly.It wouldnt let me run any Malwarebytes or anything else.It finally got to the point to where it wouldnt boot up again.All I got was "Windows/System32/Config/System Missing or Corrupt".I then removed the old hard drive,and installed a new WD3200.I used my Dell recovery cd's to get the new HD up and running and everything seems to be fine now.

Question: I have ALOT of important pictures on the old HD.What and or how is the best way to recover these pics? Would it be best to remove the new WD3200,install the old WD1600 and have somebody guide me through the process.OR,is there a easier or should I say safer way to achieve my goal,which is getting these pics back and onto an external HD?

I also have a laptop here if needed for some reason.

Thanks for reading!

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

The best way to recover data from a system that won't boot etc is to use a boot CD. This will let you boot into a Windows PE environment and give you a file manager where you can dump your important stuff onto another drive / USB pen etc.

Here are some boot CD links:

BartPE - Need to build
UBCD4WIN - Need to build
knoppix - Ready made
Ubuntu Live CD - Ready made
Unetbootin - Lets you build various boot CD's / rescue disks automatically within Windows / Linux

If you need help with these just ask.

Regards

Edited by datarunner, 26 August 2009 - 05:36 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Forgot one Datarunner
Puppy Linux

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Forgot one Datarunner
Puppy Linux

Hi Buddy

Another one to add to my toolkit.

Cheers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
I will monitor this topic also with you and if you need assistance just shoot me a pm.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
myself personally.
I would get a IDE (or Sata if it is that.)

And go thru the USB.
Have it detect normally but get a nice virus scanner going right off the get go.
Once that is finished cleaning extract the files as you please.

xD
But hey on a professional standard I don't think my answer would qualifiy.

Jrocket

Jrocket

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the replys,again this place and people are amazing!

Honestly,Im not that computer savy.Some but not when it comes to complex stuff.

When using a boot cd,I will be able to retrieve my pictures and the new HD wont be effected by any viruses on the old hd? I assume so,but I just want to double check.

If I use one of the "ready made" programs listed above,I just download that to my current hd and then use a USB cable to plug my old hd into and retrieve what I need? OR,do I burn one of these programs to a cd,then swap the new hd for the old hd and try to insert the cd and go from there?

Sorry for the confusion but I want to make extra sure I do this correctly,because these pics are worth money to me.

Thanks John

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

Download a ready made boot CD. Burn the .ISO with ImgBurn.

Then boot from the CD with the old HDD still connected. Use one of the builtin file managers and look for files then send them to another drive.

Regards

Edited by datarunner, 26 August 2009 - 10:27 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Or a USB drive, Cd's, DVD's or a memory drive.
Any of the suggestions will work to backup the data.

Jrocket

Jrocket

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dumb question here but is a boot cd different from say a recovery cd supplied from Dell that has Windows XP on it?

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Yes a recovery CD / DVD supplied by DELL etc is used to reinstall your operating system which will more than likely DESTROY all data on the drive.

Regards

Jrocket

Jrocket

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Yes a recovery CD / DVD supplied by DELL etc is used to reinstall your operating system which will more than likely DESTROY all data on the drive.

Regards

And thats not good.Sorry for all the simple questions but thats exactly what Im trying not to do,destroy the pics.

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
I understand.

Use the boot CD method.

Regards

Jrocket

Jrocket

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I understand.

Use the boot CD method.

Regards

Thanks for all the great help!!!! I'll be trying this process later this evening and report back.

Once again Thanks!

Jrocket

Jrocket

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Trying the unbuntu download now,and it seems to be stuck on one screen...

SQUASHFS error Unable to read page