Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ruined my internet..

• Please log in to reply

xHarleyQuinn

xHarleyQuinn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi guys, first post here, very puzzled.

So this morning my internet was perfectly fine, browsing the web and stuff, when I see a popup from uTorrent saying my ports aren't properly forwarded.

So It links me to the utorrent site where I follow a guide and make my ip static, however then I couldn't connect to the internet, so I rolled it all back and it worked fine.

I also tried adding the utorrent port(32181) to my exceptions list, in the windows firewall, I also unchecked those, and rolled it back.

Now, all day it's been CONSTANT disconnecting from the internet, I've been dcing every 5 minutes for hours now. I've tried restarting pc, and modem and router, I've tried a system restore, which didn't help, and I don't know what else to do.

ALL my phones are dead in the house, too.
None of them work at all, the cordless says lines busy, and the rest just make weird static noise.

Does anyone know what's wrong, or how to fix it?

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

I don't think you will recieve support for peer to peer (p2p) programs here such as uTorrent as they are a well known route for malware / piracy.

However the fact that your phones are dead I would check your ADSL filters are working and that you have the correct number ie 1 for every telco device.

Regards

xHarleyQuinn

xHarleyQuinn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi There

I don't think you will recieve support for peer to peer (p2p) programs here such as uTorrent as they are a well known route for malware / piracy.

However the fact that your phones are dead I would check your ADSL filters are working and that you have the correct number ie 1 for every telco device.

Regards

The problem must have stemmed from the fact that I did port forwarding, even though I reversed it.

I haven't downloaded anything that isn't from trusted sites, and utorrent really has nothing to do with anything, cept the fact that it was the cause of me trying to port forward. The real problem is the fact that my pc can't hold a connection, not Utorrent related stuff. :)

also, how might I do those things you mentioned?

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Well what type of internet is it cable / DSL etc?

Regards

xHarleyQuinn

xHarleyQuinn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Well what type of internet is it cable / DSL etc?

Regards

DSL

Bell canada= ISP.
Router=trendNET

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Not sure how it works in the USA / Canada but here in the UK we need an ADSL filter for each device connected to the phone line.

For example if I have 2 phones, 1 fax and 1 PC then I'd need 4 ADSL filters connected. Any less and the line will seem dead.

Have you tried disconnecting everything except the phone and see if that works?

Regards

xHarleyQuinn

xHarleyQuinn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh, we have those, actually.

I didn't know what you meant, and no, we haven't tried that. I probably should, but I'll have to wait till morning, since my Mom's currently asleep, and I don't exactly know where they are, or what NOT to unplug. :)