Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Hardware issues

• Please log in to reply

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I built this computer a year ago and it nearly cost me 2 grand so these problems that i've been having are really starting to annoy me. Here's what I'm working with
Disk Drive: LG blu-ray burner
Hard Drive: 1TB sata 3.0
memory: 1GB crucial ballistic
Mobo: evga 780i
Video: evga geforce 8800GT
PS: thermaltake 850
sorry for the lack of details, I'll get them if needed.

I've been having problems with the pc from the start. I originally bought 4gb of memory and ended up only using 1 because my pc wouldn't post any other way. Even then I'd get a lot of BSOD IRQ not less than or equal to. Well recently I formated my PC because of a bad virus and couldn't reinstall windows bc setup kept skipping files. Finally I used another disk drive and got everything to copy, but the windows installation kept locking up and I'd have to restart it. I finally made it all the way through and the only error I got was when it was installing network devices. I got a message saying that the file wmipdskq.dll couldn't be found. After windows came up I put my mobo driver disk in and I think I fixed the networking issues.
Now the only thing my computer is good for is getting on the internet and IE 6 (I'm getting to why I'm still running an old version of IE) randomly crashes without even giving me an error report. It just closes on its own! Anything I try to download wont install because the files are corrupt, which explains why I havent upgraded IE (or am using that instead of firefox for that matter!). Even windows automatic updates won't install properly. I've ran chkdsk and have the memtest and everything SEEMS to be ok. Please tell me there is hope for my computer. I've never had a problem that seems this unfixable! HELP!

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

Have you tried this Malware guide first?

Problem is you need to determine whether this is hardware or software related. So I'd try the Malware guide first.

Regards

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
well this is a fresh installation of windows. Do you think that a virus could've survived through that? And completing the malware guide poses another problem as well, anything I download is corrupt, so that would make running most of the tools impossible.

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi There

Have you tried drive diagnostics from your HDD manufacturer?

http://www.fujitsu.c...ort/#diagnostic
http://www.samsung.c...ties/shdiag.htm
http://www.hitachigs...rt/download.htm
http://support.wdc.com/download/

Regards

Edited by datarunner, 26 August 2009 - 08:46 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it. Download memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

Also try one stick at a time to double check all results.
Let us know the results.

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
just going through the things you guys suggested and got a BSOD Bad_Pool_caller. Thought Id post that before I forgot the error message.

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

just going through the things you guys suggested and got a BSOD Bad_Pool_caller. Thought Id post that before I forgot the error message.

Is this BEFORE you ran the memory and HDD tests as suggested?

Regards

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I was in the middle of downloading seatools for my seagate barracuda 1TB. I rebooted and downloaded it (I'm downloading stuff to the HDD out of my old computer now and that seems to be working, I got firefox going now) but the installation failed because I need .NET framework 2.0 or higher. I tried upgrading my .NET framework and that isn't going too well. The installation keeps failing.

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
also my video card driver just messed up right before the BSOD.

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
reinstalled my video card driver and I still have a error in device manager.
This device cannot start (code 10)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

In your next reply please include those results

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Here's a screenshot.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Reboot and enter Safe Mode
Go into device manager and Uninstall video driver.
Reboot and go back into Normal Mode
Let windows reinstall the driver.
Does that fix the problem?

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
no, when I restart I still have the same yellow exclamation point and movement on the screen is real choppy.

JDrewParham

JDrewParham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I just got another Irq-not-less-or-equal-to bsod too.