Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Component Issues and upgrade Advice?

• Please log in to reply

That guy who looks like..

That guy who looks like..

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone I recently received a desktop from an old housemate who owed me a bit of cash. The computer specs as i can find are as follows:

Gigabyte Ga-945PL-S3 Motherboard
Intel core 2 CPU 6400 @2.13 GHz
1.60 GHz,3GB of RAM Phys Address Extension
Asus Nvidia Geforce 9800GT
Thermaltake 430W xp550 NP PSU

The system has several issues with soundcard errors to Gaming issues where the system seems to have a fairly poor performance. My laptop with better CPU but weaker graphics card out performs this desktop configuration by a large margin? Seems odd? Im also thinking that the PSU might be not up to par with the requirements? the Desktop also has 3 hard drives as well as 1 extra fan? Maybe even cooling issues might be a problem? Either way im looking to upgrade the Desktop and am wondering what would be the best to Start with? New CPU like an AMD? or Motherboard? or both? also assuming the PSU could be upgraded and if anyone could suggest types of components it would be greatly appreciated as im knowledgeable and technical but lack in the component review and compatibility dept.

Thank you kindly for any help

Advertisements