Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Can't seem to get rid of this GreenAV2009!

• Please log in to reply

paranormal061193

paranormal061193

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
OK. I'm new here and just wanted to know if anyone out there can help me with this... A couple weeks ago, I was reading my email, when I came across one advertising free downloads. I clicked to see what it was all about and was suddenly plunged into internet [bleep]! My computer immediately flashed a large window across my screen warning me that I was suddenly infected with 19 or 20 viruses and that they had infected my Norton antivirus software, and that I needed to immediately delete all my Norton files, and warned of a crash! Mindless boob that I am, I heeded the warning and deleted all my Norton files as fast as I could. Bad mistake! At first, everything seemed fine. I was browsing the net like usual with no problems. But soon I was getting all kinds of pop-ups advertising free antivirus software and warning windows telling me that I was in need of antivirus software. I started a google search looking for free antivirus downloads, and found one called GreenAV2009. I decided to try it and downloaded the free trial. However, as soon as I downloaded it, I was redirected to the main page, told that I had some 50 or 60 infections, and that I would need the $69.99 full version to fix my new problem. I thought this was bogus so I simply closed it out and went on my business of searching for other free downloads. Now I had a new problem! Every website I went to, no matter how well-established or reputable, I would get a yellow warning bar at the top of my screen telling me the site I was about to open was a potential phishing site or was full of adware, spyware, etc, and that I needed to download the $69.99 GreenAV2009 antivirus software. Within a couple days, it was getting really irritating because some websites were getting increasingly hard to open, even EBAY! I could'nt even go to my Ebay page because the yellow warning bar blocked the "My Ebay" tab and I could not open my "My Ebay" page. I started to get suspicious about this Green AV thing, and decided to do a google search about it. When the search page first opened, there seemed to be alot of pages mentioning this thing in a bad way, but before I had the chance to blink, the page suddenly changed, showing nothing but positive ads for the Green AV download, and advertising the $69.99 download as the most reputable. Eventually, this same phenomena happened no matter what search engine I used. I was able to get around it eventually by going to wikipedia and using their search, found out about malware. I had never heard of malware before, so I read everything on their site about malware. I discovered that GreenAV2009 is one of these viruses, and that was what I had. I did several scans with several different antivirus softwares, and none of them found any viruses or infections. But I was still getting the warning bar from Green AV. I clicked on start and did a simple computer search for any files with Green AV and found that it had embedded itself in my "MY FAVORITES" folder. Now, normally when I right click on anything... and I mean ANYTHING... on my computer, normally there is a "delete" in the scroll down menu. So I tried to right click on the Green AV that I found in my "MY FAVORITES" but there was no "Delete"... Only a "Open". I found your website, but had a hard time getting on because the malicious GreenAV was preventing me from opening some of the pages. I was finally able to get on and read some of your posts about malware, and downloaded the malware detection and removal software you mentioned in other posts and ran it on my computer. All other antivirus, antispyware, and antiadware software I had used previously could find no infections, but your antimalware found 30 infections. I clicked on "delete," and it successfully deleted the infected files. However, the GreenAV2009 is still listed in my "MY FAVORITES" and I am worried that it may start all over again. So my question is, How can I delete this malware from my computer?

Advertisements