Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My first post, my umpteenth time of BSOD

• Please log in to reply

MaxC28

MaxC28

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello All,
Hope I'm setting up this post correctly towards being read.

For past year now I've inexplicably started getting BSOD. As I see it, it started happening as I regularly allowed my computer to update itself. My op sys is "Windows XP Home edition, SP2", which I'm beginning to hear is going the usual way of "the modern techno-dinosaur", because of "Vista".

Never knew what it was about -or of its cause.
Grew tired of it happening as I did stuff. Happened a day ago again -and this time took down error message info. Saw some of it reflected at the opening pages done by "Cheathawk"?
Even went towards Microsoft "Help and Support", wasn't even half way finished typing the error code info in the dialogue box -when it responded "service unavailable".

Now knowing the error message details I still don't know how to respond to it, what it's telling me.
That it stopped because of these drivers?,... or are they missing?,... or are they corrupted?????
It's something with "certain drivers" -but how do you access them, remove or replace them...
[bleep], what do these specific drivers control?? That's what I would first like to know before anything else. Doesn't Microsoft have such a reference, for the layman to read and become knowledgable?
Don't you think our modern living has too much -too much emphasis now upon just knowing how to operate/ care for these damnable machines -as opposed to just using and living along with them. All this info upon how to fix it, -yet you can't if not minded for it. And how many of us are there that are? Or have the time?

BSOD message consists of:
"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" at screen top, then later at screen bottom...
"Tech information: ***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000004, 0x0000002, 0x0000001, 0x89153A41)
Beginning dump of physical memory"... and then it counts down the memory dump time, 99 to 01.

Is this "memory dump" a normal safety function -or part of the error???
In fact, what's this "memory dumping" all about?? What's physically happening, is it important?
Alot of times I hear the little exhaust fan engaging as the screen sometimes sticks/ crashes(?) as a page loads up.
What's happening there? Should I continue to "power off" to unstick/ uncrash the screen??

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Ello,

First:
Check your Device Manager for problems. Go to:

1: Start > Run
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4: Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation marks or Red X's

Post your findings back here :)

Next:

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below. This program will check for any drivers which may be causing your computer to crash.

Open the Whocrashed installer that you just downloaded, and run it.
Choose Next.
Choose I accept the agreement then choose on Next.
Choose Next, unless you wish to install the program into a different folder.
Put a tick in Don't create a Start Menu folder then choose Next.
Put a tick in Create a desktop icon then choose Next.
Choose Install. After installing, make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish.
Click Analyze.
It will want to download the Debugger and install it; choose Yes. This may take a while.

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply.

-Jason :)