Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 2000 product key change.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I need to be able to change the product key on a old Windows 2000 computer. The hard drive went bad in the computer and we had to get a new drive. During the Windows install it asked for a product key which we thought would be fine and go normally. It did not. The legit product key on the computer didn't go through and we knew it was a good key because it's coming from a library in town but for some reason it just didn't work. We found a key and used that to get Windows to boot up which worked fine but now were stuck using a bad key with a computer that needs to have the right key on it.

I have tried magical jelly bean which allows me to see the current key but not change it. I tried the sysprep tool this allowed me to go through the Windows setup again and try to reenter the key but again it failed. I have found a few other programs online that said they would let me change the key but when I install them I can see the current key and but when I go to change it I would have to pay for it.

I'm out of ideas and so is the other guy I work closely with. Unless someone knows of a program or if Windows will help us we are in a pickle. The thing about Windows help is that they no longer support Windows 2000 so we aren't sure we could get help from them anymore.

Advertisements

rcramm

rcramm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Problem solved.