Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy Printer Question

• Please log in to reply

TJM9641

TJM9641

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a desktop PC running XP. I have a CPU with 4 USB slots in the back and 3 in the front. I have an HP Office Jet G85 printer. The CPU is hardwired to the modem as it is not wireless. I have the USB cable that goes from the printer plugged into a USB slot in the front of the CPU and the printer works great. When I want to print something from my wireless laptop, I have to unplug the USB cable from the CPU and plug it into the laptop to print. Works great but rather cumbersum as the CPU sits on the floor. My question is, is there something out there that works like a cable TV splitter that I can plug the USB into and then get two separate USB cables and keep one permanently connected to the CPU and have the other just sitting on my desk to use with my laptop?

Edited by TJM9641, 26 August 2009 - 10:52 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
USB hub is your answer like this one HERE

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
actually...what you should get is a USB print server (not specifically that one....that's just an example)...what this would do would allow you to plug your printer into the network and assign it an IP address...which would allow you to connect both the laptop and the desktop to the printer at the same time...no need to unplug a thing

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
dsenette :) :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I love topic titles like:

Easy Printer Question

Easy to whom? :)