Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing explorer.exe in taskmanager

• Please log in to reply

IReallyHatesDell

IReallyHatesDell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay here is the problem, I'm trying to get my roommates computer up and running. He installed avg god knows why he did that but shortly after his explorer bar went missing along with all his desktop icons. I phoned dell and after a short hassle I got them to send me the recovery disks. I ran windows repair and it still did not fix the issue. I opened the windows folder and explorer is there but when i go to execute it the [bleep] computer tells me it can't be found. I know i'm probably going to have to regedit but as it is not my computer I'd like to exaust all possible things before having to do that. And if i do have to do that I'd like a step by step if possible so I do not get blamed if things get more eff'd up. Please help, ty.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm going to doubt that AVG is the direct cause...there's a chance that a system file (or multiples) were infected and got quarantined...which would cause the issue

Please read the Malware/Spyware cleaning guide here follow the instructions at the top....

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post an OTL log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting OTL logs or ANY other logs requested in the malware/spyware cleaning guide in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post any of these logs in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..