Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet while directly connected to my modem, but not with router

• Please log in to reply

Novoice

Novoice

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've had to change the ip address on the router in the past because it was the same as the modem but I'm not sure if this is the problem this time. Any ideas/suggestions on finding out how to find the problem? It's a netgear router.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of internet connection is this? DSL or cable? was there a change made any time recently to the way you connect to the internet? was it working before and now it's not?

Novoice

Novoice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it's dsl from att, nothing has changed except it did sit unused for a few months while I was out of town. The router was plugged in the whole time so that the wireless could be used.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
USUALLY when you want to use a router with a DSL connection you have to turn the DSL modem into bridged mode and then put your authentication info into the router...do you remember doing that when it was first set up?

Novoice

Novoice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
never mind I just reset both the modem and router and that fixed it