Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Blessing On All Your Houses

• Please log in to reply

AgentXu

AgentXu

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
In the last two months, no doubt because of things I've downloaded off torrents, I have had two major issues. The first issue was a re-direct virus that made my browser act funny. The second problem (which also turned out to be Malware related) was that my computer wouldn't go to sleep or shut down when told to do so. It would re-start. This is a new computer from Dell and so I was fairly frustrated by all of that. I'm happy to report that both issues have been resolved.

I should also point out that before coming here my knowledge of the battle against Malware was basically non-existent. I thought if you had AVG set up you were good to go. With that limited knowledge I signed up here and asked for help.

Overwhelming. The support from the staff here and their rapid response overwhelmed me. In plain, easy-to-understand terms, I was explained how to correct the problems my computer has having. Through various tools and steps my issues were resolved. Beyond that the staff was patient even when I wasn't. They showed a great deal of empathy and treated my issue with a level of attention that rivals any customer service team from any company I have ever dealt with.

emeraldnzl, rschaffer61, rev_olie, Broni and happyrock all worked to get my computer back into pristine state. What more could a computer novice ask for than a well qualified team of professionals adopting his case?

This isn't just a "thank you" for fixing my computer. It's a thank you for the wonderful experience of visiting this site. Even if the issue hadn't been resolved it would have been a positive experience. However many stars I can give this place as feed back, add one more to that for good measure.

A.X.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you again for your very kind words.
This as I stated before is why most of us do this.
I for one would like to personally thank you for allowing myself the opportunity to assist you and for your patience and understanding with the steps we had to take.
Even at times they seemed not related and sometimes repetitive. They in the end with the others assistance did get to the bottom of the issue.
Thank you again and please visit us again even if there are no issues. :) :) :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Hey, nice to see your computer up and going, and it's cool to see your appreciation :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi AgentXu,

Kind of you to take the time to comment.

Been a pleasure working with you. :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
thanks for the kind words about the staff, and site. That's what keeps us going.

enjoy the forums :)

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. My assumption of downloading torrents was downloading more or less 'illegal' files of music, e-books or programs, etc. Why would a staff member look for help from G2G when he/she has a problem with malware because of dealing with that 'crap'. He/she should know better than to even contemplate downloading torrents. You're only asking for problems. Am I wrong in thinking this? :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Why would a staff member look for help from G2G when he/she has a problem with malware because of dealing with that 'crap'.

Because we are here to help. A big part of our mission here is education. It is highly likely that AgentXu now understands about the dangers and legal implications of dealing with P2P file sharing programs. I guess it's all about turning them to the light side from the "dark" side. :)

And lastly - a member of GeekU is not staff. AgentXu is a student at our prestigious training forum.

Cheers

AgentXu

AgentXu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
For the record I'm that guy who thought downloading things from torrents was the safe way to download things until all of this mess. I'd also like to state that nothing I ever downloaded wasn't, at one point, free on-line somewhere except for the cracks I had which were for games I had purchased but didn't want to have to use the disk to play. That should illuminate the realities of torrent downloading for anyone else who might be reading this; I downloaded very little via torrent and look what happened to me :)

As of now everything I had downloaded via torrent has been deleted and I have no intention of every making a go at it again. I signed up here after learning a little bit and wanting to know a whole lot more. Luckily, the staff (as I've espoused vociferously at this point) was willing to aid me with my problem and educate me beyond it.

Straight from the horses mouth!

A.X.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Welcome to the light, brother. :)

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Ah I only just saw this thread  :)

I will say at this point that it was a battle worth fighting and was nice working with you. Its always nice to finish a thread and find the problem without the poster wanting to kill you and randomly swearing at the end so for that I thank you  :)

Now we know the dangers of torrents your 1 step further away from getting re infected...and its one major step, so you can go away after learning a lesson. 

Happy computing, nice to see your a GeeksToGo convert  :)