Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Error message: fidbox.dat corrupt

• Please log in to reply

Sure

Sure

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I use Windows XP.

Suddenly I have started getting Error Messages.
On starting up, I get a message,
"The file or directory C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fidbox.dat is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."
I ran 'chkdsk c:/r' through Start- Run. I get a message that "The system is NTFS. Cannot open the volume for direct access."
When I continue to use computer, ignoring the messages, I am able to open and use programs, but keep on getting Balloon messages:
"*.exe - corrupt File
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fidbox.dat"

"*" keeps on changing (chrome.exe - corrupt File, AdobeCollabSync.exe - corrupt File), depending on what program I am trying to run, or is running in the background.
But the programs run without any problems.
Can somebody help please?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista case).
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

Sure

Sure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the suggestion.
I tried to run sfc /scannow. The system asked me for the CD/DVD. When I put it in the Drive, the system rejected it saying, it is not the same CD.
So what else can I do now?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What CD did you out in?
It has to be Windows XP CD with the exactly same service pack as installed on your computer.

Sure

Sure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Problem got resolved!
I started the Computer today, and it went into Check-disk mode on its own at boot-up, without any command from me for it.
It gave all the drives a thorough check, went through some five steps and reorganized the system. I have stopped getting the annoying prompts thereafter.
Still thank you very much for the prompt advice. By the way I had used the same CD with which I had upgraded to XP.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good news :)
Thanks for posting back.

BTW, you can't use upgrade CD to run sfc.