Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Will removing XP SP3 (reverting to SP2) cause any problems?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I have a three year old Dell Inspiron E1505 that came with Widows XP SP2. Last month I did a full reformat of the hard drive and reinstalled everything. Afterwards, when I installed all the Windows Updates, I also installed XP Service Pack 3.

There are just a few issues I have now, everything else is working fine.

Standby and Hibernate work sporadically. Using the options on the Start Menu usually does not work at first. The computer will appear to do nothing. If I use the Dell keyboard shortcuts, I will usually have to press them twice, and with some hesitation it will standby/hibernate. After this, if I bring the computer out of Standby or Hibernate and then try to use the buttons on the Start Menu, it will work, and as fast as it normally should.

Normally, when it works properly, I will get the blue background "Logging off" or "Preparing to Standby/Hibernate". If after using the Start Menu options, and it does not work, I try to Log Off, I will get the NT login dialog box instead.

Closing the lid does not always make the computer go into standby, as it is set to do. It almost always worked before.

Media Center (the program) also crashes evey time I try to do more than just browse the settings menus. If I start playing videos or a DVD, then click the Home button, it will crash every time.

Since I installed Service Pack 3 immediately after installing Windows, I did not try any of these features since the restoration and before installing SP3.

Standby, Hibernate, and Media Center always worked perfectly fine before the restoration. Everything else about Windows and other programs seems fine. Because of that, I am not expecting a bad installation of Windows, McAfee, any other programs, or any or my startup items to be the cause of these things.

Have you heard of either of these problems being related to Service Pack 3? Could they be? Could removing SP3 fix these problems? Is it possible that removing SP3 could destabilize Windows or cause any other problems?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Here's my computer specs, in case they help you to determine whether SP3 is compatible with my computer:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name RONNIE-E1505
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model MM061
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1662 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A17, 6/13/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name RONNIE-E1505\Grady Taylor
Time Zone Hawaiian Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 398.77 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Actually, my OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Does SP3 have any problems with that version?

Thank you.

Edited by Columbo45, 27 August 2009 - 06:21 AM.