Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Oddest Virus I've Ever Seen

• Please log in to reply

daplumpkin

daplumpkin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The Intro

Hello all, I'm going to need a little help with this one. A small intro about myself, I haven't used any anti virus, firewall, malware, etc. software in about 3 years. Every new computer I get I delete it because I find it amusing to hunt down virus and such and remove them myself without using memory hogging programs. This being said, I offer to look at friends' computers on occasion and I have run across a virus that I cannot find.

The Meat

He has an HP laptop that's about 2 years old. Mostly he surfs the internet and has a few pictures of his travels and some songs. He wasn't using BearShare or LimeWire to get his music. The first thing I always do is start the task manager to see what was running and it was all microsoft programs. There were only about 7 processes showing up which I thought was a little off. The real problem is he only has really used somewhere around 15GB max out of the 140GB he has, but his hard drive is saying he only has something like 500MB left on the whole thing. I deleted at least 6 programs that he doesn't use and then went through his hard drive getting all of his music, pictures, and other files he needed to put on an external. After I did this and started deleting file after file and searching everywhere I could no free space popped up. I went through his program files and his system and system32 files and deleted everything I could find that wasn't supposed to be there. If there is anyone who has seen this before please let me know or if you need me to post anything specific from his computer let me know. Thanks

edit: I forgot to mention that when I transferred the files to the external it said that there was something like 2.37GB, which is right, but it said there were 8,333 files. That's not a random number I picked it was the actual number that it showed and there weren't that many files.

edit 2: Also, almost everytime I open My Computer and close it the size of the drive changes and it doesn't depend on me deleting anything or not. The last instance it said there was 302MB free and after I closed and reopened it it read 1.30GB

Edited by daplumpkin, 28 August 2009 - 09:23 AM.

Advertisements