Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System

• Please log in to reply

Ray12

Ray12

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with windows XP. The comupter has locked up during the windows login. While performing an ALT,Crl,Del you can see the CPU is functioning 99% in windows log-in (I believe it may have been corrupted with a virus). I have run a virus scan and cleaned the computer.I had to remove the hard drive to download all important files. I believe the computer can be saved if Windows XP can be reloaded. the hard drive is functioning and run dianostics fine. I have a restore (purple) Windows XP CD that came with the computer. I have changed the BIOS order to boot off the CD. I booted up and ran the CD last night. The problem is the program runs to the Set-up screen giving the options to R=repair or Enter=install. I tried to hit enter and the computer did nothing. I later tried R for repair, after letting the computer sit for hours no response. Any suggestions or differnet steps to get the restore CD to run?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Ray12...

Starting the Dell PC Restore can be a bit tricky...it's all in the timing.

When you first start the machine, you should see a Dell screen with a "loading bar" near the bottom. When you see this screen, press the Ctrl key and the F11 key...then release them at the same time. It may take a few attempts to get the timing down, but the whole "press/release" must be accomplished while the loading bar is visible.

On some machines, I've had a little better luck by pressing and holding that key combination even before the loading bar appears...then releasing them (at the same time) when the bar begins to load.

One of these methods should start the Recovery program contained on the disk.

wannabe1

Ray12

Ray12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Great, thanks for the response. I will try this process and let you know if it works.

Ray12

Ray12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Great news, it worked! Windows XP boots up fine after the re-format. I cannot get the computer to recognize the internet connection, but I believe this is just a matter of loading the correct driver from the "blue" cds. One step closer to a functioning computer. thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Outstanding!

The Dell website is pretty good about keeping drivers updated... :)