Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade Winnt 4.0 server to Windows 2003

• Please log in to reply

ronwolff2001

ronwolff2001

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a Winnt 4.0 domain server that is used only for authentification, file and printer services, (no application services). I want to upgrade to Windows 2003 Active Directory. I have purchased new server hardware with Win 2003 server (std edition). I do not have a backup server for either the Winnt PDC or 2003 servers. How can I move my domain from the Winnt PDC to Win2003 server? The info I read on Microsoft's site seem to all pertain to upgrading the existing Winnt PDC to 2003, but I do not want to loose my NT PDC, incase something should go wrong. Is there some way to move the NT PDC enviroment to the 2003 server?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
i'll give you the short answer. build up the win2k3 server as a bdc. once its synced the data you can use dcpromo to promote it to a full domain controller and then you can demote the old nt via the same method. Now if you want to use active directory then you are better off architecting a fresh domain controller.

The theory is sound, I have done this with nt4 to new nt4 controllers but never nt to 2k3. Maybe a tad oversimplified, but it should get you started in the right direction.

starjax

ronwolff2001

ronwolff2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried that first. I tried to install the Win03 server as a non-primary server, but got an error saying it could not find the domain name on the dns servers. The PDC is not running dns, only WINS. I tried to run dns manager on the PDC, but it gives me an "Error. The RPC server is unavailable". I checked services and RPC Locator and Server are running. Any way around this? Thanks for your help.