Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add/Remove Programs not working

• Please log in to reply

JeffMign

JeffMign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I was hit with a Aleuron rootkit virus which is now cleared up, but it seems to have left this problem in its wake. When I go to the Add or Remove Programs utility all the programs are there, but when I highlight them there are no CHANGE or REMOVE buttons for almost all the programs. The exceptions are anti-virus programs and Firefox. Any ideas?

Jeff

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
probably the quickest way to fix this is to repair xp...go here for the how to guide...
if you are still infected the repair will not help...you should go thru the malware forum first..
Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

JeffMign

JeffMign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I worked with someone in the Malware forum for about a 3 weeks to get the computer cleaned up. He thought I was in the clear and suggested I bring this issue to the windows forum for help.

So now I guess I have to go find the windows cd. Does this repair operation tend to work OK? Hate to cause more problems.

Thanks
Jeff

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Does this repair operation tend to work OK? Hate to cause more problems.

yep... it will help not hurt..the only downside is you will have to get some windows updates again

JeffMign

JeffMign

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
One more question before I embark on this. When anyone else but me signs in and tries to print something off the web they get pages of what I imagine is the HMTL code (or Java script?). Also when I went to help topic for windows explorer they showed up same way with this banner: "This content might not be displayed properly. The file was restricted because the content doesn’t match its security information."

Poked around to find a solution, but more I looked the more complicated it sounded (registry keys, etc). Will repairing XP handle this or at least not be affected by this, or is this something I should do first? Wondering also if there is any chance that since I was either logged on as me or Administrator when dealing with the virus, that the virus scans might have missed something specific to other accounts?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
repairing xp can cure a lot of problems... so do it and then lets see if you or any of your other accounts are having any problems...