Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't uninstall xp sp3 after updating

• Please log in to reply

marielacruz

marielacruz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

my problem is one that is very frequent amoung xp users. my husbands laptop is an xp professional sp2, i had don't a clean system restore to factory settings not too long ago, i would say about a month or two. he, in the last week, clicked on windows update and unknowingly updated the computer to xp sp3 (if i would have known this i would have told him not to seeing as sp3 has brought us many problems in the past when it comes to conflicts with various programs. lo and behold, he did it anyway and now i can't get it off. i googled, yahooed and searched many forums to find a way, but still nothing works. i really, really don't want to do another system restore seeing as i don't want to re-install ALL OF THE PROGRAMS!! at first i was like screw it i'll just leave it in, but now i'm trying to install corel draw to his laptop (very necessary for work purposes) and the computer just freezes at install. i installed the program on my computer and it works perfectly. when i try to install it on his, it stays at setup for more than 3 hours (i've waited). so now i do need some help if anyone is willing. i'm 100% sure it's because of the xp sp3 update he did, if i could just uninstall it and go back to sp2, i know all programs will work again including the fresh install of corel draw. i tried to uninstall from the add/remove progs, and it says that some file is missing (does not specify the file name) and then says that xp sp3 could not uninstall and did not uninstall. i tried all of the methods listed in windows help forums and nothing. i also tried to uninstall in safe mode with no result. i tried downloading and re-installing it, so i could go ahead and uninstall, and nothing. if anyone has any ideas that maybe i haven't thought of yet, please let me know!!!!!

thanks in advance for listening!!

M

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi marielacruz ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
have you tried restore yet...click on start..programs...accessories...system tools...restore...restore my computer to a earlier time...next...then pick a dates that's in bold before he updated to SP3...
you may want to set your hubby's account as a limited user...that way he can't do anything but run the programs you install...

marielacruz

marielacruz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yes i tried that too, but that didn't work either, there were only three dates to choose from and neither worked :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get Windows Installer CleanUp Utility...
SUMMARY
When you are working on your computer and installing a new program, the installation suddenly fails. Now you are left with a partly installed program. You try to install the program again, but you are unsuccessful. Or, maybe you have problems trying to remove an old program because the installation files are corrupted.

Do not worry. Windows Installer CleanUp Utility might be able to help. You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.